Smoke Day 9 (5/26) Ribs!

John W

TVWBB Member
Hey all! I thought I'd post pictures of my first attempt at ribs. I purchased St. Louis style ribs from Costco thinking it was a 2-pack, but was happy to see a 3rd rack in there! Very good marbling and little surface fat. I loosely followed the recipe from the 3-2-1 section on the Virtual Weber Bullet site and ended up using 2 small chunks of apple and 1 medium, 1 small of hickory.

Here is one of the slabs after resting with rub in the fridge for an hour:

outoffridge_zpsc90dd3c6.jpg

Here they are going on the 18.5" WSM using the Weber rib rack:

ribrack_zpsb3289d87.jpg

I forgot to take a picture of the brown sugar / honey rub going into the foil at 2.5 hours, but here's a rack after coming out of the foil after 1.5 hours and after applying sauce. It's sauce from a local guy's BBQ restaurant here in town:

sauceafterfoil_zps5a91fbd5.jpg

Here is the final product ready to come off of the smoker (don't mind the foot in the lower corner, I was living dangerously):

done_zps65cd28fc.jpg

And here are a couple pictures of the sliced ribs with a bit of a smoke ring thankfully. They were fall-off-the-bone tender in some spots, but tough in others. I'll have to practice some more, but I'm thinking it could be a large variable in the thickness of the meat on these slabs.

smokering1_zpsd22f5e54.jpg

smokering2_zpsa7e109c3.jpg

We had grilled chicken marinated in Italian dressing along with cottage cheese salad, plain old bread, BBQ baked/smoked beans, potato salad, and strawberry shortcake. It was finished right before a severe storm rolled through:

storm_zpsffb66f4f.jpg

Thanks for looking! Happy Smoke Day! :wsm:

John

Good looking ribs. Careful with the bare feet. I got the worst burn of my life grilling barefoot. I stepped backward onto my very hot chimney that I had just sat down, then jumped back after stepping on it and stepped onto a hot coal that had fallen out of the chimney while moving it.

Thanks all! I need to get a good pair of slip-on shoes for constantly going in and out of the house :)

Back