A Doubly Good Smoke Day

Steve Liguori

I've been wanting a WSM for some time now and Smoke Day seemed like a good target date. Arriving the day before:

To break it in, some chicken thighs with Yardbird and America's Test Kitchen Beer Can Chicken rubs.

I ran it without water and after about 1.5 hours the thighs were at 170 internal so I pulled them to rest for a bit. I was expecting the skin to be a little darker but whatever, the family was raving about them!

Overall I'd have to say my experience with the WSM is what I had hoped it would be. Two quick adjustments and it held rock steady at 275 with no fuss or bother. What a welcome change from my modified Brinkmann Gourmet which required constant attention.

Thanks for all the guidance and inspiration!

I should add, there were three thighs leftover which I just chopped up for chicken salad. Best damn chicken salad I've ever had!!

Congrats on the new smoker. I think chicken has a nice color on them and bet they were delicious.

You won't be sorry that you chose a WSM. I got mine for Christmas in 2012 and have loved having it since. I have even started using it to grill instead of my OTG kettle. Chicken looks good.

Back