Parts Substitution

Jeff A

The following parts are on extended backorder and I was wondering if anybody had identified acceptable substitutions for them:

- POW DC Power Connectors PCB 2.1MM Mouser Part Number: 163-7620E-E

- IC1 DC/DC Converters 7.5W 24V 5Vout 1.5A Horizontal Mount Mouser Part Number: 580-OKI78SR51.5W36HC

Thanks!

After waiting a month for mouser (they said the parts were in stock when I ordered) I ended up cancelling my order for the DC converter and ordered mine from arrow.com.

They don't seem to have the POW DC Power Connectors though.

Edit: Through another board, I found this potential replacement for the DC power connector, apparently the leads are a bit longer and may need to be snipped:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/PJ-102B/CP-102B-ND/281307

Last edited:
Thanks for this info. I ordered most of my parts Friday and Saturday and your post was very helpful.

They were out of stock at Mouser on the DC/DC converter when I ordered as well. They did have the same unit in stock with the header legs parallel to the board (instead of pointing down like they need to be to solder onto the HM board) so I ordered that instead and figured I would just (very carefully) bend the legs down and use it. Well, the header legs were way too short to bend down and work (bummer) so I de-soldered them and soldered in a piece from the header strip I bought for the display. This also seemed like an easy solution, but I had a hell of a time getting the old header out and the holes clean enough to put the new header in. The board is so small it's very hard to work with. In the end, with lots of patience, I got the header changed and DC converter installed. Worked like a champ but took more effort than I expected. Still, facing an out of stock situation, if you have good solder skills and proper solder removal tools you could get this done in a pinch.
Happy BBQ'ing everybody...

They were out of stock at Mouser on the DC/DC converter when I ordered as well. They did have the same unit in stock with the header legs parallel to the board (instead of pointing down like they need to be to solder onto the HM board) so I ordered that instead and figured I would just (very carefully) bend the legs down and use it. Well, the header legs were way too short to bend down and work (bummer) so I de-soldered them and soldered in a piece from the header strip I bought for the display. This also seemed like an easy solution, but I had a hell of a time getting the old header out and the holes clean enough to put the new header in. The board is so small it's very hard to work with. In the end, with lots of patience, I got the header changed and DC converter installed. Worked like a champ but took more effort than I expected. Still, facing an out of stock situation, if you have good solder skills and proper solder removal tools you could get this done in a pinch.
Happy BBQ'ing everybody...
why bother manipulating the piece
at all put it in street then slightly bend at an angle .... if it fits in the case who cares

why bother manipulating the piece
at all put it in street then slightly bend at an angle .... if it fits in the case who cares

Well, I don't have a case now and didn't have the rPi yet when I assembled the HM board, so I did what need be done to make it as if...
I have a smoke going right now and don't want to mess with my board(s), so I can't tell you if the DC/DC converter would interfere with the rPi or the case, if you can confirm the DC/DC board works OK standing on its side that would be a good thing I guess.....

Well, I don't have a case now and didn't have the rPi yet when I assembled the HM board, so I did what need be done to make it as if...
I have a smoke going right now and don't want to mess with my board(s), so I can't tell you if the DC/DC converter would interfere with the rPi or the case, if you can confirm the DC/DC board works OK standing on its side that would be a good thing I guess.....
It needs to be slightly bent for the pi to get on there

I've actually bought these while checking out parts in 2010, the center pin is 0.05mm smaller (1.95mm) and the internal depth is similarly minusculey different. The DC power supply theoretically will fit somewhat looser. I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference though, and the footprint is the same.

Does anybody need some spare parts ordered? I put Q2 in backwards like an idiot. De soldered and the middle lead broke off on re-insertion. I've been to 3 Radio Shacks in the vicinity and nobody has a transistor approaching the specs. I've checked with some other electronics-type places (HAM Radio shops, guitar amp repair places.) I'm having a VERY hard time stomaching paying $5 shipping for a $.06 part.

You can use a 2N2222 as a replacement but the pins are different. Coincidentally they are mirrored so you have to install it... backward.

You can use a 2N2222 as a replacement but the pins are different. Coincidentally they are mirrored so you have to install it... backward.

Bryan, thank you for the advice, all of the work that you have put into this project and the information you have so graciously shared.

Now I have to bug you again.

After googling 2N2222 and discovering that Radio Shack carries them in a 15 pack of mixed transistors http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062586#inTheBox I ran out and purchased it for $3.49. The package contents online were as follows:

General-purpose silicon, high-speed, medium control switching transistors. Rated 600mW. Case Type TO-92. Includes 5 of 2N2222, 5 of 2N4401 and 5 of 2N3904.

5 of 2N2222, 5 of 2N4401 and 5 of 2N3904

However, when I got home and opened up the package, there were 5 of the 2N4401 and 5 of the 2N3904 and 5 MPS2222A.

The package for the MPS2222A states the following characteristics (which contradicts datasheets I have found elsewhere regarding this part http://alltransistors.com/pdfview.php?doc=mps2222a.pdf&dire=_lge):
hFE (min) 50

Max Ratings:
Vcbo: 75 V
Vceo : 40V
Vebo: 6V
Ic: 600mA
Ft: 300 MHz
Dissipation: 625mW

The pins are opposite of the normal Q2 as you mentioned the 2N2222 would be.

Will this work?

Thank you again.

It's no problem at all! I remember when I was a kid in the 80s trying to learn electronics and I kept trying to build a "lie detector" from a schematic in one of my dad's 1970s magazines and blew up transistors *3 times* by putting them in the wrong way while being over-eager. I understand the feeling of "oh where can I get a replacement part!" that doesn't cost like $10 and take 6-8 weeks to be delivered.

From what I can see, that part has a lower hFE (amplification) but higher switching speed. We don't use anywhere near the 100x hFE of the current part, and switch it at 500Hz well below the MHz rating of the part. The base voltage is still the same and that's really what matters, and I can't imagine anyone selling a 2222 part that doesn't at least work for the general case (i.e. not on the edge of its maximum ranges). The HeaterMeter makes really light requirements of this switching transistor so odds are just about any NPN included in that pack would work and it certainly looks like the MPS2222A fits the bill. Just install it backwards and go!

Ok a 3rd part is out of stock at Mouser.. So I have these parts I need.. and what I think I should replace them with

- POW DC Power Connectors PCB 2.1MM Mouser Part Number: 163-7620E-E ALT PART http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...5l2UOaIqcGCw==

- IC1 DC/DC Converters 7.5W 24V 5Vout 1.5A Horizontal Mount Mouser Part Number: 580-OKI78SR51.5W36HC ALT PART http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=uJpRT2lXVNXJP%2bo08dQqJQ== OR http://components.arrow.com/part/detail/55899305S8890067N3646

- Multi-Directional Switches 4-direction 10mm 160gf snap-in # SKQUAAA010 ALT PART.... Ok i Have no idea any help.

So help finding a switch... and what would people for the DC/DC Converters

Ok a 3rd part is out of stock at Mouser.. So I have these parts I need.. and what I think I should replace them with

- POW DC Power Connectors PCB 2.1MM Mouser Part Number: 163-7620E-E ALT PART http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...5l2UOaIqcGCw==

- IC1 DC/DC Converters 7.5W 24V 5Vout 1.5A Horizontal Mount Mouser Part Number: 580-OKI78SR51.5W36HC ALT PART http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?qs=uJpRT2lXVNXJP%2bo08dQqJQ== OR http://components.arrow.com/part/detail/55899305S8890067N3646

- Multi-Directional Switches 4-direction 10mm 160gf snap-in # SKQUAAA010 ALT PART.... Ok i Have no idea any help.

So help finding a switch... and what would people for the DC/DC Converters

Jon, you beat me to the punch. I just tried to order the multi-directional switch and mouser is showing at least a month and a half lead time. I ordered the DC converter form Arrow and they were very quick to get them out. I have enough part to finish one heatermeter but the switch is going to stop me from doing a second. Haven't been able to find a replacement. Hopefully someone will come up with something.

The first two parts are already discussed on this same page. The 4 way directional switch, god help you because that's the only one I know of. I know they also make a 4 way with push SKQUCAA010... welp that's out of stock too. I'm not even sure they have the same dimensions either.

Back