CL Find: VERY Clean Genesis 5000

BDuits

Picked this 1995 Genesis 5000 LP up the other night, and boy was I suprised how clean it was. I've never seen this color; a soft gray with maroon pinstriping. It still has the porcelain "serving tray" painted to match the hood, glass door, and enclosed bottom. He even put new SS flav bars and porc grill grates in it 3 yrs ago. $175, but nothing needs to be replaced or even cleaned!

3M63Fd3Hb5H45Jd5Mfd5k8b8b7bb937dd1665.jpg

3F53L63Jd5L15E15Fad5k78c4a23d6e1a135f.jpg

funny thing is we have a Genesis Silver (3 burner without the extra side tables) from '97 that's has that exact same hood color. I don't know if I've seen that same color anyplace else other than this one! Cool find though especially considering how clean it is too!

That hood color was common on the ones Weber made exclusively for Sears. Now all Sears sells is Chinese junque

For 20 bucks, I'm going to grab this one today. Hopefully everything is still pretty solid and it's worth restoring.
3Gc3M43Ff5L75K25M2d5tc89500f1622c1acc.jpg

Nice! Good luck with the restore. Looks like it's missing the flip up shelves on both sides, but the hardware might still be there. Be sure to look for it! Does it have the matching "serving tray"? It would be painted exactly like the hood with wood handles, and it sits on the left hand side wood slat shelf.

You are correct and the flip up shelves are missing. Some of the hardware is there and some of what is there is bent to crap. I'm hoping Weber still has these on hand as I'd love to add them during my restoration. Yes, the "serving tray" is there and painted the light gray color. It's dirty as all get out, but looks like it's in great condition.

Surprisingly enough, the frame is in fairly solid condition. It needs some serious TLC, but very little has me worried. Especially since it's been used as a charcoal grill. Yeah, you read that right. Flavorizer bars are missing and they had lump charcoal in the drip pan and the absolute wrong cooking grate in there. The ol' gal has been rescued just in time!

There's a couple of items I'm wondering if you could help me out on. I'm pretty familiar with the igniter on the inside of the fire box, but this one looks different. Could you post up a pic of yours? And a better pic of the "serving tray" would really help. The wood on mine is pretty much gone, so I'd like to see how it was originally so I can mimic the factory.

The igniter is the same as all of the older Genesis models, but it has a thermocouple (the Flame check button) that is mounted right there, too. That's probably what is throwing you off. I'll see what I can do about the serving tray. You might be better off buying another older genesis for parts if a clean one comes up cheap. Most of the parts are interchangeable including the flavorizer bars and grates.

Talk about abuse to a premium gasser!

Back