Turkey thawing...

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
My smoke day meat will be turkey this year. Got one thawing in the fridge now. Will be trying one of the Cook's Illustrated salted turkey recipes that includes baking powder. If it works, you'll see it featured online this Thanksgiving!

Sounds good! It's about time for me to do another smoked turkey. I'd do one for smoke day but too late to get one thawed now I suppose :(.

Turkey was thawed according to plan. Salted inside and under the skin. Applied a salt/pepper/baking powder mixture to the outside. Refrigerate overnight. Clean-up WSM in the morning and barbecue in the afternoon. Can't wait!

Good Morning Chris!
I really want to see how that bird comes out, I've done dozens over the years on the performer and when I saw those "BlackBirds" come out of the smoker....I'm just not sure.....
Have a Funtastic Smoke Day!
Al

Last edited:
Can't wait to see the outcome of the smoked turkey Chris, I have that on my want to do list

DSC03370_zps543f1dcb.jpg

I've already salted under the skin, and here I'm applying a mixture of kosher salt, ground black pepper, and baking powder to the outside.

DSC03373_zps0d1b64c6.jpg

Using a skewer to poke holes in the skin to let fat escape.

DSC03375_zps45693cd3.jpg

Turkey goes into the WSM at 3pm.

DSC03376_zps643e9000.jpg

Smoker is chugging away...

DSC03377_zps2cc1a26d.jpg

In the target range of 325-350*F.

Looking good Chris! Can't wait for the report...I'm a bit jealous though, SD winding down on the EC and you've still got a ways to go!

IMG_10561_zps131ec055.jpg

Here's my finished turkey.

IMG_10611_zpscab86636.jpg

Very thin, crispy skin. Some of the best skin I've ever made on a barbecued turkey. Slight pink tinge from the smoke. Very moist and juicy. I'm happy! :wsm:

P.S. Threw some hot dogs into the cooker from the start...after 30 minutes at ~325*F, they were rippers. Smoky and delicious!

That tied up and acupunctured bird ain't feeling no pain!:p
Looks like it will be a winner Chris!
Yeah, it's looks like a cross between acupuncture and bondage. :) Loosening the skin to get the salt under there makes it want to pull back from the cavity opening, and I ripped the skin a bit over one of the legs, so the toothpicks kept the skin in place. And as a result of that ripped skin on the leg, it kind of splayed out, so I made several attempts to tie it all together. I'm not the best at trussing, as you can see, but it worked OK.

hellova cooker you got there Mr 1997!
and no brine, that bird looks Juicy, Lucy!
............Aww Fred, leave Lucy alone!

MV5BMTIzNzc4MjM1Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMzU2MDI2._V1._SX303_SY420_.jpg

Aww c'mon, all I said was it looked Juicy!

Last edited:

Back