Smoke on reverse sear ribeyes?

Chris Sherman

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi Kevin. Thank you for bringing your knowledge to the forum and taking the time to answer our questions. :)

Ribeye is my family's favorite steak cut, and I've grilled them using many methods.

I have a few I'm planning on cooking within the next couple of days. I want to get as much smoky flavor as possible without overcooking.
My plan is to salt them and let them sit refrigerated and uncovered on a cooling rack in a rimmed baking sheet for 12-24 hours.
Before I remove from the chill, I want to build my fire with two zones, and get some oak smoke wood going.
Straight from the fridge (after brushing with oil and peppering) to the cool zone until IT reaches 110-115 or so. My reasoning for this is an attempt to get as much smoke absorption as possible before reaching sear temp.
Then to my gasser for the sear, or add some chimneyed lump to the existing hot zone and finish there. Still not decided on that part.

Questions:
1. Do you see any obvious problems or possible pitfalls? What would you do differently? i.e. cook over pure wood, etc.
2. Would I be better off just using the WSM for the initial smoke? If so, how much charcoal and how would you set it up?
3. Any other expert advice?

Thanks for everything! :)

I feel kinda weird replying to myself 2x in my own thread but I know Kevin's a busy man...

Just to update, they turned out spectacular!

What I ended up doing:

Prepped exactly as outlined in plan.
Used the WSM. 1/4 chimney lit over 1/3 unlit. 2 smaller than fist sized oak chunks.
Kept WSM temp (taken at dome therm) between 190 and 200 until steaks reached 115 IT.
Off to the preheated gasser...about 5 min a side.

Great smoky flavor with the fat rendered perfectly. Couldn't have asked for better results.

I suppose I should thank Kevin for making me figure it out for myself. ;)
20130524_190359.jpg

Chris,
Yes all the credit should be given back to me. Just like a great Jedi Knight you figured it through your great grilling powers!! Chris, thank you so much for this post. I hope everyone who sees it appreciates the genius behind this awesome display of grilling. Mind if I copy this?

The Chris "sshear" man steak!!

Legendary

Kk

Chris,
Yes all the credit should be given back to me. Just like a great Jedi Knight you figured it through your great grilling powers!! Chris, thank you so much for this post. I hope everyone who sees it appreciates the genius behind this awesome display of grilling. Mind if I copy this?

The Chris "sshear" man steak!!

Legendary

Kk

Of course you get all the credit!
You knew I just needed to be thrown in the pool to swim on my own. :p
Hahahaha...I don't own it...copy away. ;) I really suggest you try it though. Takes a little longer than "just throwin' one on the grill", but the results are totally worth it!

Great name and am honored for the tribute! :wsm:

Also, just to clarify, used an empty and foiled water pan.

Back