Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: so how are you attaching your blower to the smoker

Weber 22.5" kettle with cajun bandit mod. Fan is attached to Walmart small catbow with paperclip threaded through small drill holes on the bow and the fan housing. The assembly is then secured onto the smoker with 3" toggle bolt from Home Depot. Bagged when not in used . The setup held pretty stable with fluctuation of 3 degrees on calm day for 6.5 hours at 230. Not sure if the fan can withstand high temp smoking (275), I need to try to find out. Also wind may be an issue for lack of sealing. Default PID settings, max fan speed was 60%. For improvement, it may need some sort of deflector to prevent small amount of ash finding its way into the bowl during cook.

Last edited by Josh D; 05-24-2013 at 03:10 PM.

TVWBB Fan
    Ralph,

Just wanted to let your know that you were a true inspiration. I went to the home despot today and sat on the floor for an hour in front of the copper fittings section trying to figure out something similar for my 22" weber kettle with a smokenator. The associates kept coming by and asking me if I was okay and were perplexed when every so often I would take a piece over to the BBQ aisle, remove all the grates from the floor model and start fitting things in. I believe I have found a variation on your theme with the flex-tube serving as the air burner through the existing bottom damper holes. I didn't want to drill more holes in the war-horse and wanted it to be de-mountable as my WSM is on order and the kettle will soon return to it's rightful place as a grill. (not that it hasn't done a terribly fine job as a smoker) I will post pics after it is done.

PS- I bought more solder.

TVWBB Fan
    Do you have any issues with ash getting on the meat?

TVWBB Diamond Member
    I haven't had any issues with ash, although I do have a water smoker so there is (usually) the the water pan between the fire and the food. However, I think having all the smaller holes in the "air-burner" reduces the flow of air in any one point and so it doesn't blow ash around as much as an open blower....
    Glad you were inspired, mine has worked out great for me....
    Have a great holiday
    Last edited by RalphTrimble; 05-25-2013 at 11:29 PM.

What are people using for BGE's?

TVWBB Honor Circle Bryan Mayland's Avatar
    I cut a piece of sheet metal then formed a little tunnel and attached it to another flat rectangle with a hole cut in it

I also used a cardboard mockup for about 2 years cut from a piece of cereal box for the main part and a corregated part for the rectangle which worked fine until the humidity made it start to fall apart.
    Last edited by Bryan Mayland; 05-27-2013 at 05:10 AM.

TVWBB Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Slezak View Post
    What are people using for BGE's?
    Or you can buy an auber fan with mount. It's a bit more expensive, but their mount is fantastic.

TVWBB Fan
    Well, I haven't mounted it yet but I'm using the dog-bowl method on a Smokey Joe setup.

Actually printing this off right now.

Setup is for a servo and the standard fan. I know that this isn't supported in the HM4 electronics package yet.

Let us know how this device works and what it will cost once perfected. And people say that Q is not a technical endeavor.
    2013 WSM 22.5 , 2008 C&B Performer 22.5 , 96 Genesis 1000 Redhead , 1995 Smokey Joe , 2 HeaterMeters, Vortex

TVWBB Honor Circle Bryan Mayland's Avatar
    Wow way to show us all up. And I was just coming to post how boss my damper is with the new metal plate attachment. A conduit punch made a hole then I cut tabs to fit and smothered the whole thing in JB Weld.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast