cool new sub-forum!

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
I'm glad to see this sub-forum.....I just found it.

I'm always considering healthy options (as I sit here eating a plate of Colby jack / gorgonzola cheese & shrimp nachos for dinner)....

I like it hopefully it gets bigger and we can get cool ideas for healthy grilling.

Some great ideas here.
As per my post in the Barbecue Forum, had a little scare the other night and will now try to make more healthy choices in what I grill and barbeque.
Will gladly post my successes as they happen, (my failures too, as they might help others avoid them).

I like this section too and would like to see it get more posts. I usually post my cooks in the gallery though because they seem to get the most traffic there. Seems to me most people don't bother to look at this section

I like this section too and would like to see it get more posts. I usually post my cooks in the gallery though because they seem to get the most traffic there. Seems to me most people don't bother to look at this section

There's no reason you can't post it in both places. Recipe here, photos there. Link to cross-post.

didnt even know this existed! ha i just searched for "healthy"....might have to lurk for a little bit!
Yeah, it's kind of hidden as a subforum of Grilling. Make sure to post any tips your come across for healthy grilling. It's something we should all be doing more of. :)

I don't know how many vegetables you guys eat, but just about any vegetable tastes better when grilled. Like broccolli, which my husband Brian would rather die than eat. The other night, knowing I love it and seeing a good bit of it in the fridge waiting for me, he took some out and washed it. I like the stems too so I just cut the pieces right thru the stem to cut the stem in half vertically, right thru the florets. He tossed the broccoli in a bowl with some extra virgin olive oil, salt, garlic powder and freshly ground pepper, and then grilled them for a couple of minutes right on the Weber grill grates. Absolutely delicious.

You can also buy some small hearts of romaine, cut them in half vertically and then do the same thing as the broccoli, maybe adding a bit of rice vinegar to the olive oil and seasoning. Grill them right on the grates cut side until they get some grill marks. These taste delicious and look pretty, too. I think looks play a big part when you're trying to eat healthier -- you don't think you're "punishing" yourself when they look pretty, too.

Another good side dish is to cut red, orange, yellow and green bell peppers in large strips, say 8 to a large bell pepper. Do the same thing with the olive oil and seasoning mix, and even consider adding some sliced garlic (or smashed garlic) to the olive oil. Then put the pepper strips on a small baking sheet (or one of those vegetable baskets) and grill for a while. If you're able to put the top on for a bit, you can increase the charcoal flavor a bit more. They look pretty on the plate, too.

Both of us in the past year have discovered that we actually like roasted -- get ready! -- fresh brussel sprouts. Cut the sprouts in half thru the center, cutting off any hard root part. Mix with olive oil, salt and pepper. We also slice some shallots and chop about four pieces of bacon into small squares. Remove the sprouts to a baking pan and put them cut side down (I know it's a pain but it makes a difference) on a baking sheet. Then put the sliced shallots and bacon into the bowl you used for the sprouts and mix around. Sprinkle the bacon and shallots on top of the "face-down" sprouts. In the oven, I roast these at about 425 so you can do it on a very hot grill indirectly. The charcoal flavor adds a lot and we've also added some small pieces of pecan wood to the coals to enhance the flavor even more. Leave out the bacon if you want them even healthier -- they still taste very, very good on the grill without the bacon. But bacon is the lure I used to get Brian to try them! :D

Brussel sprouts are one the most underrated and overcooked vegetables out there. I love them on the grill and pan sautéed as well.

The beauty of grilling is it is inherently more healthy but what you grill can be a little on the unhealthy side....but oh so tasty. They don't say fat=flavor for nothing :)

Wow, people don't like Brussel sprouts? I love the heck out of them. I eat them at least five times a week. There are just so many ways to make them, but grilled or roasted (in the oven) are my favorites!

Brussel sprouts are one the most underrated and overcooked vegetables out there. I love them on the grill and pan sautéed as well.

The beauty of grilling is it is inherently more healthy but what you grill can be a little on the unhealthy side....but oh so tasty. They don't say fat=flavor for nothing :)

After seeing so many people on here with ASPARAGUS plated up with their masterpiece meat, I tried some on the OTG.

Wife's birthday meal, thickazz KC Strip, some nice red potatoes cut in wedges, olive oil drizzle, S&P... And the asparagus with an olive oil/S&P drizzle... I overlooked the steaks (have Thermapen on its way) but had nice flavor. The potatoes were really good, but the asparagus was phenomenal. By far the best "texture" of any asparagus I'd ever eaten... Tender, with a little al-dente firmness, minimal char on some of them. The kids even enjoyed it. Was good cold the next day as well.

I could stand to lose 20-40lbs... Really enjoy grilling and smoking.. So need to keep tabs on this sub-forum.

Just in case anyone missed this when Chris posted a few weeks ago, some of these look fantastic...

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?48399-Weber-Healthy-Grilling-Recipes

(Hope I'm not breaking any etiquette re-posting someone else's thread, but seeing how its from the OG of this neighborhood, figured it'd be ok).

Just thought of a name for a nice, well mannered, cordial, polite chunk of charcoal "Etiquette Briquettes". Commercial could have a formal Jeeve's looking butler, in white gloves, bringing me some neatly stacked briquettes on a silver platter... I thank him with a hearty belch, in a pair of gym shorts, Birkenstocks, t-shirt from Chico's Bail Bonds, and backwards Royals cap. Cut away shot kicking back a longneck of any beer... Pinkie out like a proper gentleman.

Last edited:
Yams are great also. I microwave a few minutes then cut in rounds. Oil and ns butter melted with a little seasoning, on the grill for about three to five minutes each side direct medium to high. Turning as needed and they are great.

Haven't been on TVWB for a while, seems like life is always too busy. I'm happy to see this forum too. As a type 2 diabetic I'm always looking for better recipes to try other than the comfort food I have grown up and eaten the majority of my life.

Back