May 11 Long Beach BBQ comp

Tony R

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
My wife and my kids went to long beach for bbq comp and had the pleasure to meet Steve Aguilar from Vicious Smoke. My wife liked Steve she said he is very down to earth and humble. I went to the judging tent looking for PeterZ and Paul Richardson but the Rep said you guys werent there..

I saw Harry Soo and took a picture with him...

We had a great time I was pulling this wagon stocked with beer and we cant wait until next year. Next year we will get a room in Long beach to enjoy the night life...

I like the undercover beer, vato. LOL. We did okay at LB. 6th in ribs & 5th in pork. We got lucky in pork. One judge killed us with a score of 8-5-6! They even left us a comment card that said our pork was "...tough and not tender at all" and "taste - none at all"! Wow! I couldn't believe it. Lucky for us, the lowest judged score is dropped and we still got 5th place in pork. The rest of the judges gave us 8s & 9s in taste & tenderness. This just shows you how tough it is to compete in these contest. One bad score and you're toast!

Glad you had a good time out there. It was pretty hot, but you & your family looked like you were enjoying yourselves. If you make it to Pechanga in June you'll probably see us there. We're going hard for that first overall win!

I like the undercover beer, vato. LOL. We did okay at LB. 6th in ribs & 5th in pork. We got lucky in pork. One judge killed us with a score of 8-5-6! They even left us a comment card that said our pork was "...tough and not tender at all" and "taste - none at all"! Wow! I couldn't believe it. Lucky for us, the lowest judged score is dropped and we still got 5th place in pork. The rest of the judges gave us 8s & 9s in taste & tenderness. This just shows you how tough it is to compete in these contest. One bad score and you're toast!

Glad you had a good time out there. It was pretty hot, but you & your family looked like you were enjoying yourselves. If you make it to Pechanga in June you'll probably see us there. We're going hard for that first overall win!

This wagon has a rack for a cooler so I had a friend make me a false bottom for the ice chest. When people search me the poke thru it but they don't see beers but my kids juices and water and other fruits...lol . I take this to all theme parks and no problems...

Pechanga for sure we are going. I saw the results and you beat other " big name" teams. Congrats Steven.

No it just shows that any fool can take a class, and be judge in nothing flat not knowing what there looking,feeling, and tasting!

No it just shows that any fool can take a class, and be judge in nothing flat not knowing what there looking,feeling, and tasting!

LOL. Well, I guess I'm one of those fools because I just took a class. ;) To tell you the truth, I'd be more afraid to judge my first contest than I was when I competed in my first. I hope to judge one later this year. From what I learned from other judges/competitors and K&K (local SoCal KCBS reps) is that to give such low scores as 5s & 6s you have to have a very good reason. I know that they review all comment cards and scoring discrepancies and probably inquired as to why their score was so off the table average. I have faith that K&K followed up on this because they are very respected reps on the local competition circuit. I know they won't change a judges score, but perhaps they made that judge a little more cautious about frivolously handing out 5s & 6s when the stakes for us competitors is so high.

IMG_5725.jpg

This was NOT an 8-6-5 box...no way...no how.

LOL. Well, I guess I'm one of those fools because I just took a class. ;) To tell you the truth, I'd be more afraid to judge my first contest than I was when I competed in my first. I hope to judge one later this year. From what I learned from other judges/competitors and K&K (local SoCal KCBS reps) is that to give such low scores as 5s & 6s you have to have a very good reason. I know that they review all comment cards and scoring discrepancies and probably inquired as to why their score was so off the table average. I have faith that K&K followed up on this because they are very respected reps on the local competition circuit. I know they won't change a judges score, but perhaps they made that judge a little more cautious about frivolously handing out 5s & 6s when the stakes for us competitors is so high.

IMG_5725.jpg

This was NOT an 8-6-5 box...no way...no how.

Wow Steve the box is beautiful and I bet it was delicious!! You better give me a taste next time I see you..lol :)

Wow Steve the box is beautiful and I bet it was delicious!! You better give me a taste next time I see you..lol :)

Thanks, Tony. I know I need to do better with prepping the garnish. We kind of lagged a bit this last time and were rushed to make it look good. I think this is the box that my brolo made upside down, so we had to flip it into another box before we put the meat inside. I think one judge gave us a 7 on appearance for this box (that score played). I don't like it, but I accept it.

Tony...Peter and I were both there, trust me! The reps (K&K) are extremely busy before, during, and after the judging, so they probably just dismissed your request. We had at least 60 judges and 10 table captains! I was able to say hello to Peter before the start, which was cool.
It was a great event yet again. Hats off to Arlie! We even got a fifth category..sirloin. Not all the teams participated in the sirloin category.

You'll have to come out to see my team in action in Riverside next month!

Tony...Peter and I were both there, trust me! The reps (K&K) are extremely busy before, during, and after the judging, so they probably just dismissed your request. We had at least 60 judges and 10 table captains! I was able to say hello to Peter before the start, which was cool.
It was a great event yet again. Hats off to Arlie! We even got a fifth category..sirloin. Not all the teams participated in the sirloin category.

You'll have to come out to see my team in action in Riverside next month!

I was there around 4:00 asking for you guys. Give me more details about the Riverside comp. Thats about 15 min from my house..

Tony,

Looks like you had one of those super days!
Are you planning on attending other local contests ?

ps... the answer you got was probably correct. They would have been out of the tent by 4

Bob

Last edited:
Tony- Sorry but I was out of there about 2:30 PM. It sure would be very nice to meet you and maybe even check out that special
compartment in your wagon.

Paul- It was a pleasure to meet you. Are u going to be cooking at Fillmore ?

Peter

Last edited:
Peter -
I won't be cooking in Fillmore, but it looks like it will be a good event. We are doing a backyard event in Riverside on the same day.

Steve,

A Big Congratulations to you and your team! Excellent showing !

Bob

Thanks. We really try to do our best, but 2 walks in each of our first 2 comps this season has been stunning for us. We couldn't imagine being able to throw down with such great cooks in these contests and we did okay. We count our blessing every comp because we know DAL can happen to anyone.

Nice post Tony, I'd really like to see more of that wagon.

Here is where I bought mine.
http://www.wagondepot.com/category_s/210.htm

This is not my wagon but you can see in the rear the cooler rack. I place my cooler in the back with a bungee to secure it. I take this everywhere there's a theme park, fair or outdoor event. My kids get tired and they can sleep on it.

I lay down a layer of beers

Then I put this plastic top that was cut out for me and it has a hole on one end where I can get my finger in and remove it then all the ice falls in top of my drinks.

I don't pay 7-9 dollars for a beer anymore and I have a special pillow that is hollowed out to put more in.

Back