Using the snake method on a Weber Kettle Grill?

Rob J

In the grand scheme of ideas I've had, I can't tell if this is a good one or a shockingly dumb one. I haven't the space for a WSM at the moment, but I'd like to smoke a brisket. Would using the snake method in a Weber Kettle OTG work as a suitable way of smoking something for long periods of time? It seems like the idea in theory would work as a way of controlling the burn, and if I could keep the temperature down low enough, it might work. The only real concern I have is that the heat might be too one sided, and only one side would cook at a time. Am I off base in thinking that?

Any thoughts appreciated!

I would think it should work fine, depending on how high and deep your coals are, the quality of the briquettes or lump you use, and the number of lit coals you start with.

I would also foil the areas of the cooking grate immediately above the coals with a double layer of HD aluminum foil. That way you have a heat buffer that helps reduce hot spots, which could potentially dry out a portion of the meat.

I recommend rotating the meat 180 degrees every 2-3 hrs to help with even cooking.

I would think it should work fine, depending on how high and deep your coals are, the quality of the briquettes or lump you use, and the number of lit coals you start with.

I would also foil the areas of the cooking grate immediately above the coals with a double layer of HD aluminum foil. That way you have a heat buffer that helps reduce hot spots, which could potentially dry out a portion of the meat.

I recommend rotating the meat 180 degrees every 2-3 hrs to help with even cooking.

That's a good idea, thanks. I also planned on putting a water pan under it to help regulate the heat, too. May do a test run with a pork butt, since they're more forgiving.

A video that I saw showed them using boiling water in the foil pan. I might try the snake method with a slab of ribs the first
time and get the lay of the land before I tried it with a brisket. The boiling water makes me wonder though.

I just did one last weekend using the snake method on my 26.75 kettle. Got 6 hours at 250 out of it, then transferred it to my Performer, foiled it for another 3 and she was done. Came out really good if I must say so myself. I had no issues and used no water. Go for it.

Back