Genesis 1000 redhead (1992)

Bob U (Queens)

TVWBB Member
Neighbors of 20 yrs moved out recently, saw them throwing this away was very pleased to wheel this into my backyard and add it to the colection cleaned up the outside with some steel wool used some citrus de-greaser on the inside, I plan on restoring the wood, already got some rcplane Stainless Steel flavorizer bars ordered on on its way. The top is flawless I was very lucky to score this for free....

also going to replace all the hardware. This is an 1992 model genesis
2013-05-02214504_zps898e48ce.jpg

2013-05-02214542_zpseda3bb22.jpg

2013-05-04172840_zps573c34e8.jpg

2013-05-04172852_zpse01d4842.jpg

2013-05-04172855_zps62d73e6e.jpg

Last edited:
Nice pick up! My brother and I rescued one just like that (except in black and setup for ng) from his boss' curb a few years ago. We cleaned it up and took it out to our families lake house and hooked it up. Its my go to whenever I'm lucky enough to get away for a weekend there. Last season the flavor bars were looking very thin, probably gonna need some new ones this year and take a hard look at the burners.

Now that I think of it the storage at the bottom on ours is wood slats like the side table. Some of which the brackets supporting them have rusted through so the slats are falling off... Sounds like a project for next time I'm there.

Enjoy the new addition!

Nice pick up! My brother and I rescued one just like that (except in black and setup for ng) from his boss' curb a few years ago. We cleaned it up and took it out to our families lake house and hooked it up. Its my go to whenever I'm lucky enough to get away for a weekend there. Last season the flavor bars were looking very thin, probably gonna need some new ones this year and take a hard look at the burners.

Now that I think of it the storage at the bottom on ours is wood slats like the side table. Some of which the brackets supporting them have rusted through so the slats are falling off... Sounds like a project for next time I'm there.

Enjoy the new addition!

thanks man I got a bunch of parts ordered and will be going head on with the restore..I'll post up some more pics once progress is made. :p

2013-05-05135551_zps8e7c8d8c.jpg

2013-05-05135559_zps00187373.jpg

2013-05-05135620_zps8dce68e4.jpg

2013-05-05140107_zps1b3a4b35.jpg

got her torn down today going to prep the surface and paint 2mrw, got some guests comming over today for a BBQ so the paint must wait untill tomorrow, overall the BBQ was in great condition, going to take care of the rust and paint the outside of the box with some high heat black paint. The burners look good dont think I need to replace them.

The sides of the hood are nice and black with no oxidation so as far as painting them i'm opting out of it, besides the grill is 21 yrs old cant look too new. Hope to get 21 more yrs of cooking on it ;)

Last edited:
2013-05-06110752_zps6165a2d1.jpg

Just rinsed the firebox down gettin ready for painting!

2013-05-06110807_zps80167607.jpg

first few coats...lookin good

2013-05-06122200_zpsd648760c.jpg

2013-05-06153050_zps3b5ca980.jpg

All Done! Waiting on some hardware then going to re-assemble.
2013-05-06164851_zps85fa6841.jpg

Now all you have to do is fix that emblem. Here is how I do it. Clean it well with solvent (lacquer thinner what have you). Paint the whole thing. Once the paint has fully hardened get a good hard very flat block of some kind wrap it with wet dry paper and sand away the paint on raised surfaces go down to a very fine (say 600/800) and finish it until the raised areas are smooth and shiny. You could even do a custom color

Not bad restore these are good old grills have many friends that own/owned them, really starting to come back to life.
Not to far away from it's first cook.

Not bad restore these are good old grills have many friends that own/owned them, really starting to come back to life.
Not to far away from it's first cook.
Yes agreed I love this grill.... i'm only 25 yrs old so this grill is basicly as old as I am :)

Now all you have to do is fix that emblem. Here is how I do it. Clean it well with solvent (lacquer thinner what have you). Paint the whole thing. Once the paint has fully hardened get a good hard very flat block of some kind wrap it with wet dry paper and sand away the paint on raised surfaces go down to a very fine (say 600/800) and finish it until the raised areas are smooth and shiny. You could even do a custom color

was thinking about the logo today, thats a great idea thanks!

Looking real good! Like it just rolled off the assembly line.

Awesome tip on the logo as well, props to LMichaels!

Ok ,, I'm going to break my silence and make my 1st post here ... Nice job/Find Bob .. Your new genesis looks great ! Yours looks identical to ours that I bought new 14 years ago .. Congrats !!!
Question .. Did you paint the inside of the fire box also ? Your post here has inspired me to take ours apart and make it look like new again ... :)

Ain't that sweet how it works? YOu can even do custom colors. Like blue (red/white (silver)/blue) All American! Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking real good! Like it just rolled off the assembly line.
Thanks!

Awesome tip on the logo as well, props to LMichaels!
Yes I may experiment with some diff colors, but the black and red go so well together

Ok ,, I'm going to break my silence and make my 1st post here ... Nice job/Find Bob .. Your new genesis looks great ! Yours looks identical to ours that I bought new 14 years ago .. Congrats !!!
Question .. Did you paint the inside of the fire box also ? Your post here has inspired me to take ours apart and make it look like new again ... :)
No don't paint inside the firebox you don't want paint toxins leeching into the food, and make sure to use high heat paint. And i'm flattered this thread has made you want to restore yours :)

Ain't that sweet how it works? YOu can even do custom colors. Like blue (red/white (silver)/blue) All American! Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

^ agreed would look sickkkkk!!!

Back