Pork butt transformed to italian+ sausage

Mike Leiter

TVWBB Pro
Was lucky enough to pick up a bunch of $.99lb pork butts a few weeks back and threw them in the freezer. Family asked for sausage so I found my old recipe for a Med sausage mix and made 30lbs of it today. Its a easy and not too hot recipe I have used and everyone seems to like. I found it on the web about 15yrs ago. Big thanks to my son for helping out today.

Sweet sausage- seasoning for 10lb so adjust accordingly: Usually make some of this at same time as mild for my mother-in-law

5-TBS Salt we always cut this in half
3-TSP Fennel seed
2-TSP Coarse black Pepper
1-TBS sugar
10lbs boned and cubed pork butt

My usual mix:

Mild Sausage-For 10lbs pork but adjust for more or less

5-TBS salt- we cut this in half
2-TSP Coarse black pepper
1-TBS Sugar
3-TSP Crushed red pepper
1-TSP Caraway seed
1-TBS Corriander
10lbs boned and cubed pork butt

Grind it up and either stuff into casings or make into patties.

Here are a few pics of my 30lbs of transformation into sausage today:
Cubed

Ground and before sprinkling seasoning in

Stuffed into casings

Cut into individual sausages- 83 in this batch

Nice! This makes me wish I had a sausage stuffer. (Harris Teeter has butts for .99/lb this week, you can replenish your supply.)

Mike, it all looks amazing! Inquiring mind here - what brand meat grinder do you use? If it has a sausage stuffing attachment, do you use it or a dedicated sausage stuffer?

Mike, it all looks amazing! Inquiring mind here - what brand meat grinder do you use? If it has a sausage stuffing attachment, do you use it or a dedicated sausage stuffer?

No it was all done with the Kitchenaid mixer along with their meat grinder and sausage stuffing attachments. Lots of people dislike using it but for the few big batches I make a yr I never had a problem doing it that way. I like the results I get from it :)

Michael......do you trim fat at all, or are you typically OK with usual discretion of the Butchers for meat/fat ratio ? I can get to 1.29/lb here, but would love your cost even more. Do you have a Kitchen aide Model No. per chance ? Yes, Me thinks Christmas as well.

Michael......do you trim fat at all, or are you typically OK with usual discretion of the Butchers for meat/fat ratio ? I can get to 1.29/lb here, but would love your cost even more. Do you have a Kitchen aide Model No. per chance ? Yes, Me thinks Christmas as well.

I take a bunch of it off but not all so there is a bit in there to melt and add some juicy flavor to the cooked product. No sure what the usual ratio is though for Butchers :) What model number did you need? The mixer part or the grinder and sausage stuffer parts?

I used to live in your area and grew up there. Lived in Fairport off 31 and worked in Henrietta till I moved to NC

WHOOA, I missed a step....Yes, Mike would appreciate the mixer number, please. Wegmans went to 1.49 from 1.29, now up to 1.69. Hope they stop there . We have been in Pittsford opp Naz. for 40 years now...yikes. Dave

David,
I use the KA Ultra Power mixer model with the Food Grinder mixer attachment model FGA. The sausage tubes come in the kit and its model SSA. It has one large and one small tube inside it.

Know Pittsford very well from my years there and worked at Chase Pitkins in Pittsford Plaza in my HS days. Mom taught nursing classes at Nazareth for quite a bit too in my younger days but even they have recently moved down South. Still have family in Macedon though :)

Just did this, but it wasn't butt, it was steaks, got the pork in freezer waiting to get chilled for grounding, and saved a few steaks, trimmed and ready for a marinade and grill later tonight. .99 cents a pound.

Ive always twisted the links as I went and never waited until the entire length was stuffed. Apparently you don't have any trouble doing it your way. They look great. Any tricks doing it your way that you have learned through the years? Ken

Back