Front sear, reverse sear, or the old fashion way?

Jeff R

TVWBB Pro
Lots of talk about searing first and reverse sear. But I still like the "old fashion way" of cooking the entire time direct. Of course you have to build the right size fire, but I like a long cook (15-20 min) over the coals the entire time. Anyone else?

IMG_0765.JPG

Jeff, I sear first or do it direct depending on what is cooking. A big steak, boneless chicken or chop I am more likely to sear first. Burgers or maybe a flank steak, I'd mostly cook direct. Nothing wrong with the "old fashion way" as your pic proves....

I prefer to sear to get a more pronounced maillard reaction. I then move to indirect for "doneness".

Depends 100% on what I am preparing and what I am trying to achieve. I use all three methods on a regular basis and am not overly partial to any of them. As a general rule: thinner cuts - direct only, medium cuts - sear and finish with indirect, thick cuts and roasts especially when I want smoke to penetrate - reverse sear.

Pretty much what Don said. The trick is to know when to pull off of indirect to allow enough time to put the sear without overcooking the meat, and that takes a probe and practice. I do my sears last as that is the last thing I want to do cooking indirect could soften the sear somewhat.........................d

I'm with Tony here... I have always seared, and if needed indirect after. I have been experimenting with the reverse sear, and I am very impressed. I don't think I am going back to my old ways...

Don't get me wrong. I like indirect/sear too. But there is something about sizzle smoke that indirect and wood chunks can't compare to

It really does depend on what you're cooking and what you prefer. Me, boneless chicken breasts, front sear and then throw some smoke on 'em indirect, tri-tip, burgers or steaks, smoke then a reverse sear to finish medium rare.

For me, it depends more on what else I'm cooking. I use the kettle for most meals some weeks so I cook more than one meat at a time. And even if I am only cooking one meat, I cook a lot of the vegetables out there. So I have to plan around the space on my 22". That is one of the reason I really am thinking about getting the 27". I am thinking it would just give me a little more space and be able to create at least an additional zone.

I just started using the reverse sear, primarily due to the grill dance I have to do, and I like it. I do like to sear chicken breast first because it gets better color. But as the original post said, setting the proper layer of charcoal and cooking over that direct heat is a beautiful thing. I've even cooked ribs and big turkeys like that but on a huge grill we built.

Direct is a way of life for me for steaks, burgers, chops, and chicken parts with no sear needed. If its sausage or dawgs, mostly indirect
but some direct time for grill marks. If turkey legs or wings, or roasts or whole birds indirect, but usually no sear for me. I have seen some
guys with a nice looking piece of meat sear too much at the end of the cook and wreck it.

Back