Thursday Pot Luck

Walter R

TVWBB Fan
Had to be home to meet some contractors in the afternoon so I took out a couple of packages of CSR's from the freezer.

Seasoned them with EVOO, Penzeys BBQ 3000 and a little Cali Pepper on top. Added a small chunk of Apple and cooked em' indirect for an hour and 15 or so and then into the pot. I figured I would cook them in a foil tray, but didn't have any left. Used the Dutch Oven for the first time that Santa brought :cool:

I added a couple of bottles of KC Masterpiece Classic Steakhouse marinade and a bottle of Long Trail Ale to the pot and let it simmer for a couple of more hours.

Excuse the single phone pic, but it was very tasty and will definitely be on the list again. Inspiration to just slap those things together comes from this board!

Food looks great. What is a CSR? Also, you can do a ton of different things with the dutch oven. I recommend cooking peach cobbler in one when you get a chance.

Walter, this is my new screen saver.....................
IMG_0417_zps45d15abc.jpg

Thanks for the kindness guys.

Curt, I will try some cobbler in the Dutch Oven. We have a peach tree and are always looking for ways to use them when they are ripe. Would love a recipe if you have one to share. CSR's are Country Style Ribs. The ones I get in my area are basically strips of Boston Butt. There are tons of recipes and examples on this site. Many ways to cook them on the WSM or grill.

I used a food network Paula Deen recipe below. Thanks for the dutch oven CSR idea:
Ingredients
2 (16-ounce) cans sliced peaches in heavy or light syrup, or in fruit juice, your choice
1 pint fresh blueberries, optional
1/2 cup baking mix (recommended: Bisquick)
1/3 cup sugar
Ground cinnamon
Topping:
2 1/4 cups baking mix (recommended: Bisquick)
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
1/2 cup milk
Cinnamon sugar (1/4 cup sugar combined with 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon; store in an empty spice shaker jar; shake well before each use)

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/dutch-oven-peach-cobbler-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Spray a Dutch oven with vegetable oil cooking spray
Drain 1 can of the peaches. Combine both cans of peaches, including the juice from the undrained can, the blueberries, if using, the baking mix, sugar, and a sprinkling of cinnamon. Place this mixture into the Dutch oven.
To make the topping: Combine the biscuit mix, sugar, butter, and milk in a resealable plastic bag. Drop bits of dough, using your fingers, on top of the peaches. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
Place the Dutch oven into the preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes, until the top is golden brown and crusty.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/dutch-oven-peach-cobbler-recipe/index.html?oc=linkback

I used a food network Paula Deen recipe below. Thanks for the dutch oven CSR idea:
Ingredients
2 (16-ounce) cans sliced peaches in heavy or light syrup, or in fruit juice, your choice
1 pint fresh blueberries, optional
1/2 cup baking mix (recommended: Bisquick)
1/3 cup sugar
Ground cinnamon
Topping:
2 1/4 cups baking mix (recommended: Bisquick)
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted
1/2 cup milk
Cinnamon sugar (1/4 cup sugar combined with 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon; store in an empty spice shaker jar; shake well before each use)

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Spray a Dutch oven with vegetable oil cooking spray
Drain 1 can of the peaches. Combine both cans of peaches, including the juice from the undrained can, the blueberries, if using, the baking mix, sugar, and a sprinkling of cinnamon. Place this mixture into the Dutch oven.
To make the topping: Combine the biscuit mix, sugar, butter, and milk in a resealable plastic bag. Drop bits of dough, using your fingers, on top of the peaches. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
Place the Dutch oven into the preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes, until the top is golden brown and crusty.

Thanks Curt! I printed this out for my recipe binder and saved the links. The blossoms are out now, so we'll have plenty of peaches to practice with in a few months....

I didn't realize peaches were prevalent in your part of the world. We are about30 miles from peach country here. I used canned ones on my first run but will try again when the fresh ones hit the shelves. I also recommend chili in the dutch oven. Be careful when draining the meat though. I dropped the lid on my floor and have a chip there now.

Looks like a heck of a meal there. I figure it's about 6 - 8 hours from Long Island to NE Mass, so give me a little notice next time your throw something like that together.

:)

Back