Pics From My 2nd Comp (San Jose) Smoke On The Mountain

Carlos Lopez

TVWBB Fan
I participated in my 2nd BBQ competition this past weekend (April 20th-21st) here in San Jose. There were 24 teams that competed and the judging process was something a lil different from other comps. We were actually face to face with the judges while they tried our food and then listened to them give us feed back as to why they liked it and why they didnt. Most comps you would just turn in your boxes and never hear what the judges thought other than getting your scores so this was definately different. Set up was on sat 4/20 with the turn ins on sunday, Chicken at 1030, ribs at 1130, pork at 1230 & brisket at 1230. On to the pics...

Here is myself (on the )right and my compadre (on the left) prepping the brisket and pork butt

Both meats prepped and ready for the smoker

Pic of our set up. Ran with 2 WSM 22.5, 2 Orion Cookers & 22 Weber kettle.

Tossed both meats on at around 1130-12am. I dont have any pics of me prepping the chicken or ribs since I started those at 4am and I was the only one awake.

Here is the next day setting up the chicken box. I wasnt too happy with the way they turned out. I need to practice some more on those. My dad and wife helping me out.

Cutting the ribs, trying to find the nicest ones

Our pork box

Our brisket box

Aprons we had made

Pic of the 3 of us, on the left is my compadre, dad in the middle and myself on the right before our last turn in.

A pic my daughter did with her phone, I thought it was pretty cool

All in all I had a good time, the judging was different lol but hey the public loved our food. They kept coming back for more and some even offered to trade us beer for BBQ. The only call I got was for ribs, took 6th place in that category. No calls for the other meats but its all good. Gotta practice more and had a blast doing our 2nd comp. Thanks for looking!

Very Cool! Great pics too. Don't get discouraged, I'm sure you'll do better the next time. At least you had fun and competed which is more than most of us will ever do. Great post!

Very Cool! Great pics too. Don't get discouraged, I'm sure you'll do better the next time. At least you had fun and competed which is more than most of us will ever do. Great post!
Thanks Jimmy, at first Im not gonna lie I did get discouraged especially after hearing a few of the judges comments/scores. I think that was the hardest part, listening to 6 people talk about your food right in front of you..lol But hey it is what is and I had fun.

A big Congratulations on the ribs call, Carlos !!!
Sounds like you guys had a great time.

Looks like you use a variety of smokers.

Bob

Congrats on the rib call.
Everything looks good... When are you coming down here to The LA area to compete?

Congrats on the rib call.
Everything looks good... When are you coming down here to The LA area to compete?
Gracias Tony, I would love to do a comp down south one of these days. I didnt realize how expensive this hobby is...lol One of these days I'll get down there.

Carlos,

This contest is going to be a gas. If you're thinking about a summer vacation down this way, this event is going to great !!!
Let's see... It's on the beach, there's going to a Kids Contest, there's going to be BBQ, there's going to be beer, there's going to be Watermelon and, most importantly, there's going to loads of fun!

http://www.rpwbbq.com/

Hope to see you there.

Bob

Back