Custom Table for Kettle

Matt Anderson

I received my first Weber Kettle for Christmas this past year. I finally had time to make a table for it. I still have a couple of additions that I need to make such as hangers for utensils, grill grate..ect. The hole ended up being a bit smaller than I anticipated. But so far, the wood has not gotten too hot. I also made it plenty tall. I wouldn't want to go any higher. But, live and learn. Fun project to work on and is working out great.

Table_2_zpscaf4fdf1.jpg
Beginning phase.

Table_1_zpsaa95c7fe.jpg
Hole cut.

Table_3_zps7ada533a.jpg

Table_4_zpsc6db3856.jpg

1_zps68bde952.jpg
Sanded, stained and mounted

2_zpsd78616b7.jpg
Ready to grill!

3_zps205c2b0a.jpg
One of my helpers. She is ready for dinner.

It looks like you used pressure-treated for the legs, but what kind of wood did you use for the top and rails? Is that spar-varnish. I'm 6'4" and have been looking for a way to raise my kettles without reinventing the wheel AND without spending too much money. Your table is right up my alley!

Assuming your kettle was the silver model. Spring the $30ish for the ash ring/catcher and it'll be even sweeter.

Please tell us what is supporting the weight of the kettle. It looks like 3 "L" brackets on the sides and rear and then the handle is bearing the weight in the front. Does that seem sturdy enough to you to put several pounds of meat on, perhaps with several more pounds of cast iron?

How does the kettle sit on those "L" brackets? Won't the top of those brackets (stainless steel I suppose) scratch the rolled lip of the kettle?

Did you drill into the porcelain sides of the kettle?

Thank you for all of the nice comments.

I did use treated lumber for the legs. Not necessary, but I was struggling to find 4x4 untreated. For the top and bottom, I used decking boards. Then finished it with several coats of stain and several coats of polyurathane.

Mounting was the biggest issue. I did use (3) "L" brackets along with the handle. It seems to be very steady. I did drill into the sides of the kettle and secured it with stainless steel bolts. I need to go back with some high temp paint to help prevent any rust. But, so far seems to be working well. The bolts are just below the lips that the cooking grate sits on.

Total cost was around $100 to build. Pretty cheap to have a sturdy and functional work station for the kettle. Next time, I might try tiling the top instead of deck boards.

I need to look into the ash catcher a bit more. Just haven't had time to do much else yet with it.

Apologies for hi-jacking the thread, but I've had an idea for making a work station for my 26.75" OTG & SJG.
Going to purchase a heavy duty picnic table, (see below).

9zvjr.jpg

I will cut off the seating slats, cut them to length, and place them across the side supports under the table to provide shelving.
Next, cut two holes in the top to accommodate the OTG & SJG side by side. (I'll cut the holes to the width of about half way up the bowl section, so they sit in there nice and snug). The heat transfer to the wood could be an issue, but I'll see how I get along first. Hooks can be screwed into the table top sides for various utensils.

Whaddya think? Suggestions or comments welcomed. :)

Again apologies. Matt, that's a crackin' table you have built there!

Last edited:
....I've had an idea for making a work station for my 26.75" OTG & SJG.
Going to purchase a heavy duty picnic table....

Perhaps not, but wouldn't it be cheaper to just purchase lumber and hardware separately than to hack a picnic table.....or could it be the other way around? Just wondering....

Back