anyone use a specific winter rub recipe ?

simon j

TVWBB Fan
In parts of the world where it gets cold and we have to adopt a 'winter smoking' routine, do i need to adjust a winter rub recipe more geared towards colder temps ? I find this odd as my WSM will surely hold temperature ? I found it odd that someone recommended me a "winter rub recipe" , that is all ?

so do any of you winter smokers adjust your rub recipes for the colder temperatures ?

thanks
sj

I've never heard of anyone changing their rub for the seasons, so of course I don't.

And like you said - the temp inside the WSM will be the same, so the meat won't know it's winter.

The only thing I change is I just rub my hands together a little bit more.
icon_biggrin.gif
Well that and some bourbon..

Tim

I've been using Wolfe Rub Original for the past few smokes - it has a touch of Cinnamon in it, which seems particularly appropriate for this time of the year.

Pat

Adjust rubs for the meat you are cooking, not the temperature outside. Pairing certain spices and herbs with meats is normal. Many cooks do plan meals based on the current outdoor temps which makes sense. For example; in the heat of the summer, lighter meals are more appealing.

Paul

I use a rub that one might call Fall Spice Rub, but not because it's fall, just because it tastes good. And I use it any time of year. The base is brown sugar, then add cinnamon, ground ginger, cardamom, cayenne pepper, ground cloves and nutmeg. Also some oregano or basil if you like. You might think this makes your meat taste like a pumpkin pie, but it does not. It's just good! This is a variant of the Coffee Cardamom Brisket recipe, which I think actually started on this forum, but I saw it at the Komodo Kamado forums.

It's HERE Doc.

Don't have seasonal rubs but I do go from Gin and Tonic to Makers Mark or Crown and Coke in the winter
icon_biggrin.gif

Back