Smoke Rack Ribs

Gary S

TVWBB Guru
IMG_0001-2_zps5265fe67.jpg~original

IMG_0003-1_zpsfca97b5d.jpg~original

IMG_0004-1_zpsfa47e5ce.jpg~original

IMG_0009_zps6f737414.jpg~original

Got to use the new rack this weekend. The 18.5 is too short for a full length rack of ribs so they were cut to keep them out of the fire. I cooked UDS style over the coals at about 250 for four hours with applewood. I was busy with family and another turkey on the kettle so forgot to get finishing photos but they were really good and the presentation is neat. Next time though, for me it's back to the water pan but I'll be hanging the ribs for sure again.

I used a common kitchen skewer, bent them in the vice around some round bar and left the tails long enough to lay against the opposite support bar to hold things in place. The skewers worked well although there was no weight to speak of anyway. Can't wait to get a lake trout or salmon to try.

Last edited:
Very nice setup and cook! Thinking of welding up a rack like that for my UDS for hanging multiple slabs.
I hang up to 4 full length slabs in my Smokey Joe + 16 gallon drum setup. The bottom ends of the slabs may hang very close to the coals but they still cook fine with just slight blackening at the bottoms. I've placed a diffuser (pizza pan) at the bottom and eliminated the blackening, but ended up using more fuel.

Gary, I bet the direct method would work really well for babybacks, sort of Rendevous style. Can't wait to hear what you think about fish or ribs hung over the pan, though. Sounds like controlling the temp without a pan went pretty smooth, though?

damn, i think i just drooled...........

Gary, this is a GREAT design! Do you mind if I steal it and make a rack for my 22"WSM?

Last edited:
damn, i think i just drooled...........

Gary, this is a GREAT design! Do you mind if I steal it and make a rack for my 22"WSM?

I would be honoured Jim....:) I think it will work really well with the 22. I would suggest you add two more rods, one on either side of the two I have made. The larger diameter will easily allow for that. You will also be able to build your rack taller than mine. I spaced by hanging rods 3 inches apart.

Gary, I bet the direct method would work really well for babybacks, sort of Rendevous style. Can't wait to hear what you think about fish or ribs hung over the pan, though. Sounds like controlling the temp without a pan went pretty smooth, though?

Dave I had no problem with temps, I made a couple of adjustments but for the most part that was it. I did not like all the grease burning up and coming back. The ribs were good but there was a flavor that while not offensive was distinctive. It was not as clean if you will as just wood smoke Like you, I am a water pan guy for ribs. Notice by the end of the cook the ribs were starting to blacken. I'm more used to a dark mahogany. The think the blackening was from the fat burning.

Very nice setup and cook! Thinking of welding up a rack like that for my UDS for hanging multiple slabs.
I hang up to 4 full length slabs in my Smokey Joe + 16 gallon drum setup. The bottom ends of the slabs may hang very close to the coals but they still cook fine with just slight blackening at the bottoms. I've placed a diffuser (pizza pan) at the bottom and eliminated the blackening, but ended up using more fuel.

Thanks George for the tip. I will definately not allow the fat to fall into the coals again. Everybody raved about them but I detected a taste from the fat that was not as good to me as other ribs I have done. The taste competed with the wood smoke in my view.

Dave I had no problem with temps... I did not like all the grease burning up and coming back. The ribs were good but there was a flavor that while not offensive was distinctive. It was not as clean if you will as just wood smoke Like you, I am a water pan guy for ribs. Notice by the end of the cook the ribs were starting to blacken. I'm more used to a dark mahogany. The think the blackening was from the fat burning.

I was wondering about that, since your rub looks pretty light. But what did you put on them and how did you measure temp? Again, I bet loinbacks would be really good smoked like this direct.

Now you're asking me to expose all...haha actually I simply used my dome therm. I have found it to be as accurate as I need it expecially since I did not have a rack to place a probe on.
I was in Costco the other day and the two slabs were marketed as St. Louis style ribs. Up here and in Costco particularily the BB's have so much meat they are almost too much for me and too rich. St Louis ribs are seldom offered in our stores. These were already rubbed and sauced. I thought they would make a good test cook so I bought them. I took alot of the sauce off them before I put them on. In the past I have spent a lot more attention to the preparation but I have to admit not this time, I was a little behind schedule and just getting an 18lb turkey cooking in the 26".

...actually I simply used my dome therm. I have found it to be as accurate as I need it expecially since I did not have a rack to place a probe on....These were already rubbed and sauced...I took alot of the sauce off them before I put them on. In the past I have spent a lot more attention to the preparation but I have to admit not this time, I was a little behind schedule and just getting an 18lb turkey cooking in the 26".

Hmmmm....So you're sure that the blackening couldn't have been because of the sauce and/or because cooking temps were hotter than the dome, being closer to the fire? So how did that turkey turn out?

Hmmmm....So you're sure that the blackening couldn't have been because of the sauce and/or because cooking temps were hotter than the dome, being closer to the fire? So how did that turkey turn out?

I don't know if I would say "sure" Dave but I'm thinking so for three reasons, odour from the grease hitting the fire and burning, the volume of smoke coming out of the cooker as compared to every other smoke I have done and to a lesser extent the taste. If you have ever been in a house where there was a protein fire you would recognize certain odours and the soot. To a far lessor extent that was what I thought of during the latter part of the cook as the rendering increased. The burn was not as clean as I get either with the water pan or a clay saucer or some other heat sink where I can gather the drippings without them burning.

As for the turkey it was awesome. Injected with a butter and chicken stock compound. Wood smoked on the big kettle at 300-325. It's a hit here in this family. The injection really makes the drumsticks.

Without a heat barrier you will get blackening only at the very bottom simply from the fact that you're very close and exposed to direct radiant heat.
Here, I hung 24 chicken wings, rubbed with S&P only, in my Smokey Joe UDS. You can clearly see the blackening at the bottom. I'm sure the fat and the juices working their way down contributed to the blackening as well. Ribs I've done end up with less blackening at the bottom.
I also have the option of placing a shallow metal pan at the bottom of the smoker body as heat barrier and to catch drippings.

P1070051_zps1e4f4df5.jpg~original

P1070057_zps357edc85.jpg~original

Last edited:
...well I made a slight addition to the rack using the left over round bar and cooked another couple of racks of ribs. This time BB's with my own dry rub. I cooked them over water as I like to do at 250 and was quite impressed with the results after 3 1/2 hours. They were very good and possibly better than I have had before but that's a very subjective remark. I can't say hanging changes the flavour over coiling them but the presentation does capture your attention.

IMG_0005-1_zps18fbeb56.jpg~original

IMG_0011-1_zps383d1b04.jpg~original

IMG_0014_zps96073114.jpg~original

A few ribs were harmed making this photograph.

Last edited:
Can I ask a dumb question?

Why?

Canyou fit more racks in the cooker? Does hanging cook differntly than sitting on a grate? As the meat cooks and gets tender, wont' the weight of the ribs pull the rack off the hook?

What are the benifits of hanging vs on a grill?

I've heard that hanging ribs sort of self-basted them, and they certainly look a little different than if they were cooked flat or standing on bone end like rolled or in a rib rack. The color and evenness of cooking is fantastic, and although I like ribs hung over the coals, the water pan sure makes for a more moist environment and stress-free cook. Now I wish my big WSM was just a little bit taller. I wonder how many half slabs you can hang in the 18.5" wsm, though?

Can I ask a dumb question?

Why?

Canyou fit more racks in the cooker? Does hanging cook differntly than sitting on a grate? As the meat cooks and gets tender, wont' the weight of the ribs pull the rack off the hook?

What are the benifits of hanging vs on a grill?

Yes, yes, and no...at least as long as you don't overcook. They should cook more evenly and self-baste to a large degree. Some folks compare them to if they were cooked on a rotisserie.

Back