Forwarding outside LAN

Andy Snider

TVWBB Fan
This is more of a ID10T question than heatermeter related, but I can't get heatermeter outside my LAN.

I have Static DHCP set up so heatermeter always has same IP
I have no-ip.org host.
I can get web page & pit droid to connect inside LAN (my only issue is the ET732 probes @ room temp...)

I have a DSL modem/router and Asus RTN16 running Tomato.
Tomato router forwards port 24 to heatermeter IP.
DSL (Westell POS) is set up the same way my VPN is set up for port forwarding (but port 24). My VPN works using the no-ip host as the server address.
I've tried host:24, host/24 just host etc
What am I doing wrong?

Do you have tomato forwarding the router's port 24 to the HeaterMeter's port 80? The website is on port 80 (http) and 443 (https).

I have it forwarding to port 80 now....
I'm not getting through my DSL Modem/router. i can connect to the wifi on that router (I keep it open as a guest account) and type in the tomato router IP:24 & I get the web page. Now to figure out how this stupid thing forwards ports.

Success, somewhat.
I turned on the DMZ on my Modem/router & fed the IP to my tomato router. Now, outside my network, I can type in HOST.no-ip.org:24 in a browser & get the linkmeter webpage. I can't get it from INSIDE my network, so I'd have to switch back & forth.
PitDroid doesn't work outside the network either (I'm assuming it doesn't like the :24 on the server address)

Is the :24 necessary? I saw port 24 somewhere here, so I used that with out really knowing what it was for (guessed the web server was on 24 for some reason). I've never really had much understanding of how to use hosts & dynamic DNS - what I've read makes sense, but there's not a whole lot of real-world examples that fit what I want to do.

You don't have to DMZ, all you need to do is Basic port forward. Src Address is blank, Ext Ports = 24, Int Port = 80, Int Address = heatermeter IP. I don't have tomato, but they should all work the same. I know PitDroid works with port numbers too, because my HeaterMeter is home.capnbry.net:22675 and that works.

If you're still having trouble with getting it to work on port 24, try it with Ext Port = 80, which is the standard for for HTTP.

OK I think I sanitized my port forwarding table, not many things are actually forwarded anyway. I use tomato, there is the port forwarding table, just fill it out with your info. You can also use 8080 as your port, if you choose ports above 1000 you are typically safe. Port 24 is typically used for email and such so you may have issues with that, though you may not. You can google tcp ports and find a listing for port numbers.

PortForwarding_zps478514b3.jpg

dave

P.S. - don't forget to hit the save button on the botton or it won't work.

Success! Must have been a conflict on port 24. using >1000 has worked with 2 or 3 that I've tied.
Thanks for all the help.

Last edited:

Back