22" questions and comments as I saw one today

Howard B.

TVWBB Member
Couple of questions and comments as I am not sure, with all the history that Weber has since they sold the 18.5” smoker, they would do some, what appears to be, strange stuff. I don’t have a 22” yet but I did visit a local hardware store that had one set-up:

1. Why do they have such a gap between the charcoal and water pad? If they lowered it, it may ultimately require less charcoal which appears to be a major concern by some. Also, since they have so much room it’s a shame they didn’t lower everything so a middle 3rd grate, could come with it, eliminating the need for Old Dave’s set-up.

2. The set-up I saw had the water pan directly underneath the bottom grate, is that correct? I always liked the distance the 18.5” had as it allowed me to add additional water easily.

3. Has anyone ventured into major modifications yet? Lower the whole system so that extra hooks can be added to the top, so a new top 3rd grate could be added. Will need to drill new holes plus get some bent metal. I will say the height and extra space certainly allow for some good flexibility.

4. Didn’t understand until I saw it today, but cleaning around the heat shield would seem to be a little difficult. Shame they couldn’t have designed it so it could easily be removed.

5. I always wanted a smoker that could easily smoke 6 St. Louis style ribs in addition to the cut off sternum parts. Curious has anyone tried this yet? Even though the top grate is 21 .5” the water pan is around 18.5 so I tend not having meat going past the water pan.

I will most likely buy the unit sometime this summer as the $399 price is substantially less than a Backwoods or Caldera that I have been looking at for quite a while.

I have a new 22.5. I've used it twice and love it. I also have questioned whether or not one could lower the water pan and hang another cooking rack.

I'm tempted to try it out. It actually would be easy to simply fabricate a strap that would bolt to the lower bolts on the hanger in the WSM. Fabricate it to drop the water pan and allow a third cooking rack.

It wouldn't be irreversible and who knows what you might discover.

Lou

I believe the distance between the water pan and the charcoal was intentional to allow easier access to servicing the charcoal and smoke wood. It's a fair point, though, that the additional space could have been allocated differently to accommodate a third grate. My guess is that they felt 2 grates were enough and 3 would add cost and not be used by most people.

Yes, the distance between the water pan and bottom cooking grate is different.

Not aware of anyone that has modified to add a 3rd grate.

Several people have theorized that the heat shield would present cleaning problems, but mine has been sitting out since last September and accumulated no debris despite lots of fallen leaves and crepe myrtle blossoms. I would hit it with a garden hose or blower if necessary. I was told by Weber that the heat shield was intentionally designed to not be removable for safety reasons, yet we have reports that the heat shield keeps falling off of the 18" cookers...oh well.

As far as cooking ribs, you can see photos I took when cooking loin backs (not spares). I have a couple of side-by-side photos of 18" vs. 22". Click the thumbnail pics for larger images.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/22wsm.html#test1

Regards,
Chris

You know what would be a great accessory sold by Weber or third party? A 2nd grate support layout so those that want it, can have a 3rd shelf instead of having to fabricate something. It can use the same hole layout just go further down towards the charcoal. Chris - I never cooked loin ribs, so I don't know their size, but in your opinion can the 22" hold 6 full slabs of spares St.Louis cut, laying down flat and then spread out the sternum where there is room?

Howard

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Howard Braverman:
...in your opinion can the 22" hold 6 full slabs of spares St.Louis cut, laying down flat and then spread out the sternum where there is room? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I hesitate to say since I haven't tried it. I tend to think yes if you were cooking smaller sized spares...if they were bigger ones, maybe not. Hopefully someone will try and let us know. Maybe I'll try one of these days.
icon_smile.gif

Chris

Back