Pellet smokers

I haven't started the research yet but this is exactly what I am going to attempt now what my heatermeter is built

I've looked at them, im sure they work great but something about plugging in my smoker just seems like cheating.

Purists would call the heatermeter cheating too. Bottom line is whatever makes good BBQ is all that matters. The "purists" can stay up all night drinking moonshine, fiddling with temp control, while I go to bed and have delicious BBQ by lunch.

Purists would call the heatermeter cheating too. Bottom line is whatever makes good BBQ is all that matters. The "purists" can stay up all night drinking moonshine, fiddling with temp control, while I go to bed and have delicious BBQ by lunch.

The forced air temp control is a slight change from traditional smoker operation, however, the servo mode would be like having a virtual human there adjusting the vents for you, pretty close to old school, at least automated old school. Which gets me thinking about designing a system where a servo adjusts the existing vents on a Weber kettle, a robot kettle would be kool!

As for Weber mods, check this page about 3/4 the way down. This is a pellet hopper conversion by smoke daddy. I personally think that a heatermeter with a pellet system would be the best of everything, complete control, burning real wood, and ability to cook as long as needed without having to replace charcoal. From what I understand, the hopper fan runs at a constant speed and the only thing that varies to adjust temperature is the feed rate of the pellets.

Back