18.5" WSM body on older SJP base?

Mike Willis

TVWBB All-Star
Has anyone tried this? I'm thinking of trying this setup on my next smoke - I'm guessing I might be able to keep temps lower in the WSM (without the use of water). The three vents on the bottom of the stock WSM base can be a bit finicky at times regarding airflow and temps, and I think (maybe) the side vents on the SJP bowl might reduce the airflow to the coals since the vents aren't under the coals, allowing a waterless low and slow.

I haven't tried the fit test yet... my SJP is in the back of my storage shed. It seems reasonable to assume (I know, I know) that it should fit, and I like the legs better on the SJP... they look like the newer WSM leg style with more of a spread than the older model.

I'll post up when I try it (if it fits), but wondered if anyone here has tried this with success.

Bottom sections from both WSM and SJP are the same sized piece.. so can't imagine why you won't have a perfect fit.

I put my WSM middle and lid on 18.5" OTG base - raises it up and setting vents is easy. I've not had any trouble with ash blocking the vents but I use Rancher :wsm:

My 08 WSM mid-section fits in my 06 SJP nicely. I only tried it one time when the coals were dying on the WSM and I still had a good amount going in the SJP.
I use the lid more on the WSM cause its a better fit than the WSM lid.
IMAG0566.jpg

Let us know how that works, cause I'd be interested in trying that on a Spiral Sliced Ham.:wsm:

Tim

I've not had any trouble with ash blocking the vents but I use Rancher :wsm:

I haven't really had much of a problem with ash, even using KBB. I was just thinking I could keep the temps lower with side vents as opposed to bottom vents, all without using water in the pan (too lazy to clean it up :D).

Back