Probe Readout goes from 0 to correct temp and back and fourth

Jason J

TVWBB Fan
Hello,

On two separate ET-732 probes and testing different probe sockets, the reading keeps fluctuating between 9 and the actual temp. The pit probe is a et-732 and it works just fine. Using a ET-72 probe and I do not seem to have this problem. Any clues as to why this is happening?

I've seen this too, even with ET-72/73 probes and I don't know what causes it other than the fact that the voltage is actually changing. It seems to be something about the probe braid shorting or getting kinked or in one case for me, getting water inside the probe tip. I don't know why the ET-732s seem to exhibit it more frequently than the others though.

There must be a way this is compensated for in the actual Maverick device, but I don't really have experience in electronic design so despite my best googling I can't resolve it.

I gave up on the stall a long time ago and use a texas crutch to power right through it. I then save all the juices to add back in after shredding.

dave

I generally crutch as well. But last time I didnt and it was the best pulled pork I have ever done. Ive moved it from the smoker to the oven at a higher temp. I hope it gets done in the next few hours.

I've had this happen on an ET 73. It was my fault: I fried the wire but putting it over direct heat and the next cook it did exactly what you're describing. I got high temp replacement probes and all is well.

I've had this happen on an ET 73. It was my fault: I fried the wire but putting it over direct heat and the next cook it did exactly what you're describing. I got high temp replacement probes and all is well.

I guess it is possible that two separate ET-732 probes are bad. Wouldn't surprise me too much.

Back