Neat little bacon making video

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
Just saw this on PBS, then found it on youtube to share with you bacon makers.
Note, dry cured for 10 days, then hung for at least 10 more days.

The Mind of a Chef is an awesome show. Set the DVR.

Bourdain narrates. David Chang shows the details.

I just smoked some bacon with hickory and apple. He's right. It is good.

We're having BLTs with it tomorrow.

I, too, saw this on "Mind of a Chef". David Chang tried Benton Hickory Smoked Country Bacon and said something to the effect of, "after tasting it for the first time, I realized I'd never really had bacon before--this stuff is that good."

Well, needless to say, I was hooked. I plunked down $41 for 4 pounds of bacon including S/H and waited a month for the order to be fulfilled...Allan Benton is that busy.

I open up the box...and there are 4 cryovac packages of bacon. No ice pack, no dry ice. It went by UPS Ground and took 7 days to arrive. There's a note inside the box saying that due to the smoking process, it can be shipped without refrigeration...but refrigerate immediately upon receipt!

So I do that, and a few days later open up a package and cook 4 slices. It is, without a doubt, the STRONGEST, SMOKIEST bacon I have ever experienced in my life. After cooking it, the house smells for two days like I ran the WSM in the living room! It tastes good, but after eating it I get kind of an upset stomach, which makes me think it's just a lot, lot, lot of smoke on the meat.

MartinF, you say you've tried this stuff. How about anyone else? Similar experiences? I've got three unopened packages in the fridge and not sure what I'm going to do with them, to be honest. Maybe cook it outside on the grill, because it really stinks up the house!

Bummer Chris.
Wonder if it will improve after it breathes a bit?

I like bacon pretty darn smoky, but that sounds over the top.
It should make some great baked beans, if nothing else.

I was thinking the same as Bob.

That pungent smoke flavor might make a great addition to other foods. I was thinking mac n cheese, chili, finely chopped/ground into deviled eggs, sprinkles on baked potatoes, etc. I'm getting hungry thinking of it.

Back