A WSM "mini" cook

Pat Smith

TVWBB Wizard
I decided to cook some bottom round steak (London Broil) for sandwiches for this week's lunch and thought I'd use that as an excuse for cooking on my wsm (lower case) mini. I cooked the 2+ lb steak/roast for about 30 minutes at 300 or so before the temp got to 130. I did a quick sear directly over the coals then got the steak off before it overcooked.

I left the mini going and when I got ready to cook my dinner - a dozen or so nice big chicken wings that had been marinating in Big Bob Gibson's white sauce and seasoned with Wolfe Rub Original, instead of firing up the Performer or the Kamado Joe, I noticed the mini was still chugging along at 300 so I just tossed the wings on the mini.

They cooked at 300 or so for about 45 minutes, then I dunked them in some thinned down BBG wite sauce and put them back on for another 15 minutes.

There were very moist with a touch of sweetness and had great skin.

Here are a couple of pics:
http://i488.photobucket.com/al...ericaChicago2010.jpg

http://i488.photobucket.com/al...ericaChicago2010.jpg

I shut down the vents and let the coals die out and when I checked later, I had about 80% of my lump left.

Nice little cook!

Pat

Looks great, Pat.

I have been amazed by my mini-wsm.

It is very efficient with extremely stable temps.

It cooks so well, tomorrow, I am roasting a 4 lb boneless ribeye roast with it.

pat, how are you dealing with the ash on the lower air vent or is using the lump making it a non issue ? i got my pot. just waiting for better weather, can't wait to get it going. yer cook looks great.

George - ash build up hadsn't been an issue with the lump BUT I have a little "poker" that that came with my fire pit that is little more than an "L" shaped metal rod about a foot long with a handle on the straight end.

After the first couple of hours, I would just poke the bent end into the bottom vent holes and rattle it around a little bit just to knock back any ask that might have been crowding the vent.

I'm thinking it will really be a non-issue on the three vent SJ model that I've got in the garage.

Fun little cooker.

Pat

bill, the unit i got is a bene casa 32 qt tamale cooker. where this is going is that i like to smoke some meat but usually not so big pieces of meat that makes the wsm and kettle overkill. a small unit like this is what is really called for. weber made a 14 in wsm for a couple of years that is just about perfect. pat, that is what i use for my kettle three wheeler and the sj's. a rod with one end bent up. i also have a extendable large mirror so i can see what is going on.

George, Idiot me I meant where do I go to get the pot? Sorry. Did you get it on line? I wanted to make one to bring on vacation...I Like It!

bill, best place is to go to any asian/mexican store. can be a food store or hard goods store. they seem to be in ever store of that type. take measurements just to be sure as not all 32 qt cookers are the same.

Bill - you might get one at Wally World if there is a sizable Latino population in your area. I got mine at the local Tienda. 32 quart, but as George says, take your tape measure.

Pat

Back