Making sausage without casing...

Chris E

TVWBB Pro
I've see the bacon-wrapped fatty recipes everywhere but I saw a guy in a book smoking sausage he rolled in plastic wrap and removed before smoking.

I was toying with the idea of making a fattie-like sausage for the smoker with chopped chicken or even seafood.

Anybody done anything like this?

Don't see why not, with pork. Chicken should be ok, but not sure about the seafood. You need a binder, and not egg, unless you're aiming for meatloaf. The way sausage has a uniform texture is by mixing before forming. So whatever ground meat mixture you're coming up with, mix it by hand or in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment until the meat feels "tacky". You also need a decent amount of fat in the mix. So don't go for lean chicken or it'll be crumbly.

Seafood sausages are quite delicate. They are usually poached - plastic-wrapped - to cook and firm them. I have never done them another way but you could try, or par-poach first to get them partially firm before removing the plastic to finish on the smoker.

For those, and for the meat mixes (which are easier to fashion), roll portions of your mix into logs of the desired thickness and length, roll onto a large piece of plastic wrap, then roll into the wrap; twist the ends well then chill for a few hours.

You need a good bind for this to work well - the tackiness G refers to.

When I make gyro meat, combo of lamb and pork, I like to let it chill for 24 hours before cooking, because it is MUCH easier to deal with when it is good and cold. As Kevin said, roll up on plastic wrap, then roll the wrap like you would to unwrap a piece of hard candy. The tighter you get your plastic, the happier you will be. I've never done a seafood sausage, but my bro does, and he par-boils them because they are usually too delicate to handle out of the plastic before they are cook. Sure, you can get them sticky, but then you have seafood meatloaf/spongeloaf, which as AB would say, is not good eats.

Back