Canadian Bacon Question

Did a couple searches and didn't see a complete thread on a How To for Canadian bacon.
Question is what cut is better for this purpose? Loin or tenderloin?
Can I use same dry cure method as I do for bacon that is from Bobs Bacon Made Easy thread? Cure for a week and then soak and hold overnight and smoke?
Getting ready for bacon fest VI with my neighbor, last time we did 30 lbs of bacon between the two of our smokers! This time we are gonna cut back a little and do some Canadian style as well.
Thanks for starting an addiction guys!

I'd extend the curing time a bit to be sure. The last bacon I made had a small spot in the centre which was not fully cured. No problem in real life, but add a few days to be sure. Ten days, perhaps. Same salt/meat ratio, proceed as usual.

Loin.
You can dry cure it, but because of the tendency for loin to dry out easily, I prefer to brine "Canadian" bacon.
It's good to pump up those cells with brine so it'll stay moister. Actually, I do an equilibrium combination cure, pump and brine for about 5-6 days.
Very gentle with the heat when preparing and finishing, I cold smoke and then bring the CB up to desired internal temperature by "steaming" on a rack in a covered roasting pan in a 160-165 degree oven. It'll stay nice and moist that way.

~Martin

~Martin

Thanks guys... Martin can you elaborate on the process?
So dry cure and then brine? What's the brine recipe? D you actually inject and then brine?

I weight the loin.
I use water in the amount of 20% of the weight of the loin.
I add the two weights together (loin and water) and then use the calculator on my site to calculate the amount of salt, sugar and cure for the total weight of the meat and water.
I inject 3/4 of the brine.
I bag the loins with the remaining brine and any leakage, remove as much air from the bag as possible.
Turn at least a couple times a days.

HTH

~Martin

Martin, you've probably posted it before, but what's your ratio for #1? I'm cool with 2.5% salt, but I can never find what my cure should be at. I see a bunch of ppm numbers but then I would have to do way more calculating.

I've been cold smoking then pasteurizing with my sous vide set up

I should add that wet brined meat needs to be dried a tad longer to set up the pellicle

Martin, you've probably posted it before, but what's your ratio for #1? I'm cool with 2.5% salt, but I can never find what my cure should be at. I see a bunch of ppm numbers but then I would have to do way more calculating.

I've been cold smoking then pasteurizing with my sous vide set up

I should add that wet brined meat needs to be dried a tad longer to set up the pellicle

duh, I just looked at the sticky in this forum

Back