Make your own corned beef for St Patrick's Day

Gary H. NJ

TVWBB Platinum Member
And now's the time to start. You'll need a minimum of 5 days lead time. Easier than making bacon; no need to smoke anything. Recipe here if you don't have one already.
If you're using a 5 lb brisket flat, make 1/2 the recipe brine/cure, but use all the spices. I recommend cutting a full brisket into 5 lb pieces, each piece put into a 2-gallon ziplock bag with the cure, but be sure to put the bag into a pot in the refrigerator; otherwise the bag may split open.
I did my first corned beef last month and could not have been more pleased. I recommend it!
Cheers!

Thanks Gary, I was thinking about this the other day and then forgot I was going to do one. I do love piled high cb sandwiches..........................d

We are having ours today (I have to fly tomorrow). My son prepared and cured the beef using Penzey's Pickling Spice and a 5 pound flat. I cooked it at 250F in a roaster oven with root vegetables, beef broth and IPA for about 7 hours and the brisket is now falling apart. The shreds of meat we are pulling off are really good.

We just added the cabbage and are counting down to dinner. Young's Double Chocolate Stout (purchased at Trader Joe's) is outstanding.

Our corned beef was spectacular. Fork tender, aromatic, and way less salty & fatty than the commercially prepared roasts we typically buy.

One of my sons did think the spices in the Penzey's spice mix were too prevalent, the cloves and other baking-type spices were quite strong. I checked the Penzey's catalog to see if we used the right thing, and found they sell a Corned Beef spice mix in addition to the Pickling Spices that we used. My initial though was that I screwed up, but checking the ingredient lists the two spice blends look identical.

Thanks Gary, recipe is bookmarked.
Guys I have a question. Do you prefer Choice over Select or does it matter?

Tim

Oh no!!!

a84e4a6ab7b51efdc2ce77bd917d95e2_zps5f27009e.jpg

It was still delicious. 6lb flat. 7 day cure. Next time I do a flat that big, I'll cut it in half. I'm definitely doing this again though.

If one did not want to inject ( read lazy ), it looks like 2 more days would have done it ? Boy, it seems it is just a little in the middle. I thought I had read somewhere that a fella uses 5 days to the inch for the soak. I did some butt bacon recently, boned and cut lengthwise into two 3.5 lb pcs....and 2.5 inches thick at the thickest end. They went 9 days in the bag and were perfect and not salty with a 2 hour soak.

Back