Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Things I've Learned

TVWBB Emerald Member Rolf Jacobsen's Avatar
    Thank you, thank you, thank you. Did I mention "thank you"? Great post..................

Well said, Tim.

If I may add one thing: don't try to time your Q. It's done when its done.
    ; ; ;

TVWBB Honor Circle
    Quote Originally Posted by JimK View Post
    Well said, Tim.

If I may add one thing: don't try to time your Q. It's done when its done.
    Ha! Great advice for beginners, but if I still told the Missus that, long cooks on my patio would only be an annual occurrence. Now I don't mean to pull early. I mean that if I'm behind, I'll raise the temp and/or foil. I'd rather be a little ahead of the game, though, and then drop the temp a lot toward the end of the cook. Nailing cook timing is half the challenge!
    Last edited by Dave Russell; 03-08-2013 at 08:00 PM.
    22.5" WSM, 18.5" wsm, Performer, 26.75" OTG, 22.5" OTG, SJ

TVWBB Member
    The OP was very good information, the sometimes overlooked basic rules of BBQ, The peeking advise is very important, why take a chance of messing up your meat, get a meat thermo and watch it get done from your couch.

yes yes and yes...............=)
    Great post, thank you.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Tim O View Post
    4. Make sure your charcoal is hot and ready. It may sound stupid but If the charcoal in your chimney starter isnít bright red and ashing, itís not ready to be dumped into the charcoal ring. I canít tell you how many times Iíve gotten too excited to wait and just dumped half-ready charcoal into the ring only to have to re-light the bowl.
    I don't find this one to be true. Once I get a few coals lit, I dump my chimney. Usually the top coals are just starting to light. Many are still black. I use the minion method and as long as I get a few coals going, I can get my charcoal pile going. I will say that if you're only lighting a small amount of coals, having them really going makes things easier. I'm wondering how excited you are to have them be going out. Calm down man!
    1880 / Genesis S-320 / Jumbo Joe

TVWBB Pro
    When cooking for company, start early.

If it gets ready early, it will stay good and hot in an ice chest or even wrapped in foil and towels in the oven.

If the doorbell is ringing and the meat isn't done yet, it sucks a lot of fun out of the event.

TVWBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry N. View Post
    I don't find this one to be true. Once I get a few coals lit, I dump my chimney. Usually the top coals are just starting to light. Many are still black. I use the minion method and as long as I get a few coals going, I can get my charcoal pile going. I will say that if you're only lighting a small amount of coals, having them really going makes things easier. I'm wondering how excited you are to have them be going out. Calm down man!
    This happened to me twice - I don't use the minion method but the one as described in Wiviott's Low & Slow. It may not need to be a cardinal rule for everyone or necessarily true, but with the times I've dumped the charcoal on too early, the coals take a long while to get up to temp. I also found that sometimes I even smothered them because of the water pan! Oops!

TVWBB Wizard
    This my next purchase a smoker and I only know what i have read but I want to learn how to make a good smoked turkey,chicken,pork butt, & do it right and slow. this would be interesting to do. Now just need to find the right deal.
    "WEBER"
    2010 Black Performer,S310 2007,18.5 WSM 2010,Jumbo Joe 2014

Just curious what kind of coal you guys are using that is going out? Never had that issue with small amounts of Kingsford Original or Stubbs...

... and great advice
    WSM 22, OTS 22, Smokey Joe, Genesis, DigiQ, Performer Platinum. Kettle Pizza

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast