A Couple Q Questions???

G Savrnoch

TVWBB Super Fan
Hey gang, I have a Q120 that has been our camping grill for years - still looks and works like new. At home recently bought a Weber Performer for grilling/smoking and I'm loving the charcoal/wood smokey flavour. Been playing around a lot more too with indirect setups (roasts, shoulders, etc...) So I thought I might look at a Weber Smokey/Jumbo Joe for camping along side the Q120. Then I got thinking do I really want to drag 2 grills camping and 2 separate fuels (LPG & charcoal)???

So I considered my Q120 and its future potential. I love it's smaller size for storage and portability. But that smaller size also may not lend itself to indirect setups. Then I started thinking perhaps sell my Q120, take that money plus money set aside for the Jumbo Joe and buy a 200/220. Seems big enough to do small indirect setup or perhaps throw a pack of wood chips on for some added smoke.

So...for those with a 200/222, I'm sure you'll tell me how much you love your grill, likely as much as I love my 120. But is it reasonably portable (e.g. camping, beach, tailgating) or is it just too much? Or should I just keep the 120 for grilling and take the Jumbo for my odd indirect/smoke set up? I know some have used the Baby Q's indirect but for me, familiy or 4 I just don't think it offers the square inches of gril surface. :confused:

now you understand why folks have more than one grill. its just really hard to fit one into everything you need.
one thing you need to keep in mind is that some places/areas do not allow charcoal or open flames.
as to trying to cook indirect on the q, thats not a hard thing to do. smoking is another thing though.
charcoal you can do about anything but again you will need to deal with size.
suggest you look at the jumbo joe and keep the 120. the 220 size is not as easily ported.

The 200 series is a great product BUT remember it is basically a slightly bigger version of what you have. The 300 series is what would really allow you indirect but you lose the portability.

George we generally camp in Ontario Provincial Parks which allow open fires (in designated fire pits) as well as charcoal cooking appliances (except during fire bans of course).

At this point I'm thinking of keeping the Q120 which has been a great grill for me and is still in great condition. And the best part.....it's paid for :D.

So I'm looking at either a WSJ or WJJ to go side by side with the Q120.......if I can find the space for it in the camper without raising eyebrows from DW. I'll just tell her it's a big fishing bobber :p

That way I can do my meat (direct/indirect) on charcoal and use the Q for corn, potatoes, veggies, or a couple of quick dogs for the kids.

Hey gang, I have a Q120 that has been our camping grill for years - still looks and works like new. At home recently bought a Weber Performer for grilling/smoking and I'm loving the charcoal/wood smokey flavour. Been playing around a lot more too with indirect setups (roasts, shoulders, etc...) So I thought I might look at a Weber Smokey/Jumbo Joe for camping along side the Q120. Then I got thinking do I really want to drag 2 grills camping and 2 separate fuels (LPG & charcoal)???

So I considered my Q120 and its future potential. I love it's smaller size for storage and portability. But that smaller size also may not lend itself to indirect setups. Then I started thinking perhaps sell my Q120, take that money plus money set aside for the Jumbo Joe and buy a 200/220. Seems big enough to do small indirect setup or perhaps throw a pack of wood chips on for some added smoke.

So...for those with a 200/222, I'm sure you'll tell me how much you love your grill, likely as much as I love my 120. But is it reasonably portable (e.g. camping, beach, tailgating) or is it just too much? Or should I just keep the 120 for grilling and take the Jumbo for my odd indirect/smoke set up? I know some have used the Baby Q's indirect but for me, familiy or 4 I just don't think it offers the square inches of gril surface. :confused:

First, let me point out that size-wise....
Q100/120 about the same size as a 14.5" Smokey Joe
Q200/220 about the same size as a 18.5" Jumbo Joe/ OTG
Q300/320 about the same size as a 22.5" OTG or Performer

I have several of these grills. 14.5 SJS, 18.5 JJ, 22.5 Performer and a Q220.

I am falling out of love with the Q220. I bought it because I thought it would be easier to tailgate/camp with. The 1lb propane is much easier to deal with than charcoal for quick meals. The problem is how dirty that it gets. One batch of hamburgers requires an hour of cleaning to get the grease out. I generally hate to cook anything on the Q220 that is going to have sauce/marinade/juices/grease/etc fall through the grate. It also limited in how hot it gets. So, my best use for the Q220 is for things like pre-made appetizers like hot pockets, bagel-bites, taquitos ---things that can more or less "bake" on the grill. So this makes the Q220 a good "companion" grill but not one I rely on as my one & only travel grill.

I also like to do kabobs, skewers, & various "meat on a stick" items, and that gets quite messy. On a kettle, I can get enough heat to cook these indirectly. On the Q220, not so much. On the Q220, the best "indirect" setup I have found is to use about 4 firebricks to use as a sort-of pizza stone on the grate, but it takes quite a while to generate to cook this way.

The good thing about the kettles is that they can get hot enough to burn off any grease problem.

The real answer is to use more than one grill and just buy a bigger vehicle to take your camping/tailgating gear. I have a truck, so when I travel I usually go with my Performer and my Q220.

as i said, i think the jj is a good bet. its just not as big as the old sjp and i don't think it would be an issue to find space for it.

George we generally camp in Ontario Provincial Parks which allow open fires (in designated fire pits) as well as charcoal cooking appliances (except during fire bans of course).

At this point I'm thinking of keeping the Q120 which has been a great grill for me and is still in great condition. And the best part.....it's paid for :D.

So I'm looking at either a WSJ or WJJ to go side by side with the Q120.......if I can find the space for it in the camper without raising eyebrows from DW. I'll just tell her it's a big fishing bobber :p

That way I can do my meat (direct/indirect) on charcoal and use the Q for corn, potatoes, veggies, or a couple of quick dogs for the kids.

Thanks to everyone. Daryl thanks for the detailed "hands on" feedback. I'm "OFF" the 220 kick now....at least for a camping grill. Convicned from feedback here and from others I'll be keeping my trusted 120 and going this weekend to look again at a JJ side-by-side with a SJ. I think a JJ is going to be the winner.

I don't think that Q220 assessment is accurate. I bought one for my daughter which ended up living at my house for a LONG time and a lot of personal use by myself. It did develop an issue not getting hot enough. I discovered it was the built in regulator. I could have bought a new one but since it was on the big cart and set up for 20lb tank I took the regulator off and used a standard LP regulator (at the tank) and the hose was able to fit directly in to the valve. Only issue there is the grill is no longer "portable" or able to use 14oz cylinders. But hell she doesn't care. And with a proper functioning regulator it will get as hot as any other gasser. I have used it extensively though she has it now but no complaints. Cleaning it takes all of 10 minutes unless you're totally anal

agree that the 200 series are very good grills and have no problems with mine either.
but i think its just a bit big/heavy for what he needs.

Whene I put my Q 220 in the rv, I just remove the grate and put it a cloth shopping bag, when the grate is out, the Q probably weighs 20# or less. I just sit the Q on top of the grate and I'm good to go---

I love my Q220. I have the hose adaptor for 20lb LP for when it is on the stand at home. The stand also folds down into a trolly that can be used to transport the grill safely over longer distances. I have used it at the park a couple times and it worked like a charm. I also get grate smoke flavor out of it, best of any LP grill I have ever used.

Back