Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: New Android app: PitDroid

TVWBB Pro
    It was very windy yesterday.

I find I get better automated open lid results by increasing the % temp change needed to trigger them. This works well when it is windy, or when you are smoking at 160F too.

dave

TVWBB Honor Circle Bryan Mayland's Avatar
    Yeah the defaults are made for my grill, which is a big green egg so if the temperature ever drops 6% there's no doubt the lid is open.

The graph looks pretty sweet. Is it a HTML canvas with the flot control on it? Also how are you getting the data? Polled or server-sent streaming?

TVWBB Member
    I just uploaded a new version with alarm support, the details are in the first post.

Hey Bryan, the graph is done with a library I found, AndroidPlot. The data I am just polling. I looked into using the streamed version, but it doesn't seem like something Android supports. If you want data pushed to you, you're supposed to use some Android cloud thing. Oh, and if anyone wants to look at the code, it's on GoogleCode. I licensed it under the Apache 2.0 license, so people can do what they want with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Bonstead View Post
    The data I am just polling. I looked into using the streamed version, but it doesn't seem like something Android supports. If you want data pushed to you, you're supposed to use some Android cloud thing.
    Nah that's for when you're disconnected and need to send infrequent short messages.

What you do is a create a worker thread that creates the BufferedReader like you're doing but have it not return. Just keep calling BufferedReader::Readline() and you'll get the streaming status messages which are just lines of text:
    event: hmstatus
    data: { json data that you're getting now }
    (blank line)

When you get an hmstatus event, parse the data with your parseStatus() and post it back to the main thread. It is just like updating a progress meter from a background thread except instead of pushing the progress up to the view, you'll pushing a NamedSample object.

TVWBB Super Fan
    I'll check out the .2 tonight.

TVWBB Member
    Installed and played around with a little bit ago. Simple, worked great for me.

The only semi-goofy thing is that I didn't have a pit probe plugged in, and it read -225 ( the zero from no probe, minus 225 for the set temperature). Bryan, does your display routine do some validation / math on that value that isn't passing across the web service / request that Colin is polling?

(I confess I'm too lazy to fire up the work laptop and load the code for either.... )

Jarrod

TVWBB Fan
    So after using this last night, I do have one suggestion. Use Androids Alarm system to sound the alarm. So with my alarm clock app or for tasker when I have it play an alarm, I can have my phone on silent but whenever they are triggered, the alarm sounds audible. With PitDroid I had to keep my sound on the phone last night and anytime I got a new email, new IM, new notification of any kind the phone would make a noise and I woke a few times when I didnt need to. It would be great to leave the phone on silent, but have PitDroid sound an alarm either way.

TVWBB Member
    Hey Jarrod, it's expected that you would see -225 if the pit probe isn't connected. The second parameter is degrees off from the set point, so I guess it's considering the current temperature zero. I should probably just not show it in that case though.

Jason, I didn't even know you could make a sound if the phone is on silent. I kind of assumed it would just block any attempts. I always keep my phone on vibrate though, so I don't really have much experience with sounds. I'll look into that though.

TVWBB Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Bonstead View Post
    Jason, I didn't even know you could make a sound if the phone is on silent. I kind of assumed it would just block any attempts. I always keep my phone on vibrate though, so I don't really have much experience with sounds. I'll look into that though.
    Try downloading https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ure=nav_result. Put your phone on silent and then set an alarm. The phone will sound the alarm regardless of whether or not your phone is on silent.

A way to get around not being able to trigger alarms when in vibrate mode is to temporarily disable vibrate mode when the alarm goes off:
    Code:
    AudioManager audioManager = (AudioManager) getSystemService(AUDIO_SERVICE);
    int ringerMode = audioManager.getRingerMode();
    if (ringerMode != AudioManager.RINGER_MODE_NORMAL)
    {
        audioManager.setRingerMode(AudioManager.RINGER_MODE_NORMAL);
        int maxVolume = audioManager.getStreamMaxVolume(AudioManager.STREAM_ALARM);
        audioManager.setStreamVolume(AudioManager.STREAM_ALARM, maxVolume, 0);
    }
    You'll want to save the old ringer mode and set it back once the alarm is turned off too. Probably the volume of the alarm stream as well.

Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast