Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New Android app: PitDroid

TVWBB Member

Cool Android app: PitDroid

I made an Android app for monitoring your HeaterMeter: PitDroid!

The first thing you need to do once you've installed and started it is go into settings and enter the address of your HeaterMeter. It should be something like 192.168.1.10. If you've forwarded your HeaterMeter outside your firewall you can put in the external address instead, so you can monitor it on the go too.

PitDroid 2.0 - Released 8/13/2017
    • Added a confirmation dialog when changing the set temp, so you can tweak it to an exact value, or cancel the change
    • Couple of fixes for landscape mode in the gauge view

PitDroid 2.0 beta - Released 12/30/2016
    • New graphical thermometer dashboard (to change the pit set temp, make sure you're logged in and just drag the red marker)
    • Fixed issue on Android 6+ devices where alarms wouldn't go off if the device went into doze mode
    • When alarms are set there is a persistent notification with the current temps
    • Alarm notifications will show on Android Wear

PitDroid 1.3.1 - Released 10/6/2015
    • Fixed graph text size on high DPI devices.

PitDroid 1.3 - Released 10/4/2015
    • Changed development environment to Android Studio. Should help with issues on newer Android devices.
    • Added an alternate server address in the settings. It's useful for users that can't access the external address of their HeaterMeter from inside their network.
    • Fixed an issue with not being able to authenticate with more recent versions of the HeaterMeter software.
    • Switched to the new Android "light" look, since I couldn't figure out how to get the old "dark" look working again.

PitDroid 1.2.1 - Released 11/13/2013
    • Crash fix
    • Added an option to keep the screen on
    • Dashboard display of the most recent update time

PitDroid 1.2 - Released 7/26/2013
    • Added support for changing the pit set temp.
    • Added an explicit exit button. Now if you've got an alarm set you need to either turn it off or push the exit button and confirm that you're ok with exiting.

PitDroid 1.1.2 - Released 7/24/2013
    • Fixed crash when viewing graph before server is up (thanks Uipko!)
    • Added option to not have an alarm if the server can't be contacted (for flaky wi-fi connections)

PitDroid 1.1.1 - Released 4/16/2013
    • Fixed dumb crash

PitDroid 1.1 - Released 4/15/2013
    • Added pan/zoom support to the graph (thanks Eric T!)
    • Ported over estimated time until alarm/degrees per hour from the web page

PitDroid 1.0 - Released 3/25/2013
    • Now available on the Play store!
    • If you have an alarm set, now it will sound if the probe isn't giving readings, or it can't contact the HeaterMeter.
    • Less crappy looking status bar icon for < 3.0 devices.

PitDroid 0.3 - Released 3/9/2013
    Changed the alarm sound to use the alarm sound channel. This way it can sound even if your phone is in silent or vibrate mode. There is an option in the settings to not play the sound if your phone is in silent or vibrate (by default it will though). The alarm channel is what stuff like the Android alarm clock uses, so if you have that turned all the way down for some reason you won't hear anything. On my phone, if I change the ringer volume there is a little settings box next to the volume slider. Pick that to see what your alarm volume is set to.

PitDroid 0.2 - Released 2/22/2013
    I've uploaded a new build, 0.2. The main change is that there are now alarms. You can set a low and high temperature alarm for each probe, and if they go out of that range it will make a sound and vibrate.

If you set an alarm, an icon will show up in your notifications area to show you that PitDroid is running in the background. This is because if an alarm is set your phone is going to wake up every x minutes (configurable in the settings, defaults to 15 minutes) to check if an alarm needs to be triggered. That can turd out your battery life if your phone is normally sleeping (ie, screen is off, no other apps are working).

If you want to stop PitDroid from polling you need to either disable all your set alarms, or close PitDroid. On my Android 4.1 phone you can hold home and then press on the PitDroid picture and swipe it off to the side to close it, other versions of Android will vary. You'll know it's not polling in the background if you don't see the icon in the notification area. (The icon looks kind of crappy right now on non-4.x devices, I'll fix that later.)

PitDroid 0.1 - Released 2/20/2013
    Initial release.
    Last edited by Colin Bonstead; 08-13-2017 at 12:00 PM. Reason: New version

TVWBB Pro
    Very cool!

dave

TVWBB Fan
    So Cool Can't wait for your planned updates

TVWBB Fan
    Super. Sweet.

TVWBB Fan
    Sweet! I'm doing a smoke this weekend so I will test it out.

Looks great thanks!

TVWBB Super Fan
    Just got my replacement Edimax adapter, works just fine here.

TVWBB Member
    I used my HeaterMeter to smoke a brisket today (I have the week off ), and I did some more work on PitDroid. I've got the interface for setting alarms set up and actually had it working by the end of the day. My phone actually woke up and vibrated when the pit temp got too low, and I went out to clean up the coals a bit. Still some bugs to work out and a bit of cleanup to do, but once that is done I'll put out a vesion 0.2, maybe tomorrow. I also forwarded an external port to my HeaterMeter and tried checking it while I was out today and it worked fine. Here's a sneak preview of the updated interface:

TVWBB Member
    Oh, and I updated the graph screenshot with one from partway through the cook today. Please ignore all those parts where it says the lid was open, that was just the crazy wind gusts here fooling the HeaterMeter. Well, I did have the lid off for the last one, because I was wrapping the brisket in some butcher paper, and the raging winds took advantage of the open pit and stoked the coals up to 400 degrees. It was fun clamping that back down.

TVWBB Fan
    Nice! I hope you can get .2 tomorrow as I will be doing a brisket starting early Saturday morning and going back to bed

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast