1st Stoker on WSM, large swings in temp.

Pete N (doodad)

Hi all,

I'm newly joined, but have been reading this forum for a long time. I've had a WSM for a couple of years now, but just bought a stoker and gave it a shot this weekend while camping.

I attached a graph of the run below, don't laugh, it is my first time, please. Ignore the laptop going into standby (forgot to reset power settings).

I cooked two pork butts, one on top, one on bottom. Pit probe on top rack, meat probe in top butt ( I ordered two, but one was backordered ) Outside air temp was about 65-70 and breezy. Target meat temp was 190, set pit at 250, but changed it to 240 once, then back. I pulled the top one when ready, bottom was still not quite, so I moved the probe and let it continue.

The issue as I see it was when the pit temp fell, the fan pulsed on a few times and the cool outside air dropped the internal temps a bit, the fan then came on hard, and the temp overshot. No biggie, just I've seen tighter graphs.

I've seen other posts that shut the top vent a bit, mine was 100% open.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should try?

I think this problem is also related to the glitch in the middle of my cook where I had to stir it up and add some more. I think the swings used extra fuel unnecessarily.

Thanks,
pete

finish.jpg

In doing a little searching, it appears that I need to close the top vent so it is open only 25% or perhaps up to 50%.

I also think I need to ensure the door is tight, and minimize any other leaks.

Some have also said to use a terra cotta saucer instead of water.

Yes? Am I on the right track? I guess I'll have to cook again this weekend to see.

Pete

Hi Pete, I know many close it to the width of a probe, I close mine to about 1/8 (open). Another think you've got to watch is if you're using large pieces of wood (bigger than chunks) it can cause temp swings.

Most run their cooks without any heat sink (water), I use a clay saucer as I feel it keeps the cook steady vs. swings.

You still get some swings though, here's a graph of a 15 hour butt cook I recently did. You see I had a couple peaks and valleys, no biggie though.

stokerlog.jpg

Thanks Larry, I had read some of your other posts as well. This is a great forum, lots of knowledge.

Your graph is flat compared to mine, I was getting + / - 15 or even 20. No matter, the pork was still very good.

My smoke wood wasn't that big, about the size that fits in your hand, or my hand at least. I never liked the really big pieces, no confidence that they'd go properly.

I basically just tried to do what I did without the stoker, not knowing for sure, and what the hey - I learned something.

It was obvious to me that it was wrong, I just needed the guidance on what the knob was that I needed to turn. Since the controls aren't accessible in the stoker itself, it had to be something else.

thanks again & good cooking!

Don't know that I was that much help, if you read some of my early Stoker threads you know I had some issues with swings too, I had some 30 degree swings, with a tweak here and a tweak there I quickly dialed her in and wouldn't trade her in for anything, sometimes I don't even use Stokerlog, just plug her in, set the temps and walk away, love the thing. All the bells and whistles that Stokerlog provides are the whip cream and cherry on top. Have fun!

On the contrary, it's nice to see even the most polished guru on any forum was once a noob like me. Given some problem, usually one can work it out, sometimes by trial and error, sometimes with a little nudge in the right direction.

I came really close to building my own controller, but in the end I just don't have the free time. I just bought what I wanted in the first place and here I am.

It's all about the pulled pork, or brisket or whatever floats your boat anyway.

Thanks

That chart is not so bad for a first burn. It really depends upon your fuel and what wind is hitting the unit. I'll go on record and say the blue-K is the most constant but I know that judges can spot it and mark it down. Competition K works better but natural lump is what wins hands down. Keep it protected from the wind and you should be fine.

-rpb

I wasn't too worried since I probably had as large a swing prior to getting my stoker. I'd check every half or hour or so and tweak. Now it just happens automatically.

I just received my backordered second food probe today, so I'm going to do a second cook very soon.

BTW, I use regular blue K briqs always. I'm not a competition cook, I just love good food. I used to like what passed as "bbq" till I had the real deal, now I'm spoiled.

Though since I've read more about the fuel choices, one of these days I may try lump and see how it goes.

Pete

Here was my first try last week. You can see I started at 225 then to 240, 250, 260.
I didn't have many spikes (that can't be explained) but my fan sure got a work out.
icon_smile.gif

Stoker01.jpg

Pete,
As mentioned, on 250 or less, 1/4 open on top vent is enough. You want to let the fan control the draft. On 300+, you'll need to open it up if you're using the 5 CFM fan.

One other thing I didn't see mentioned was how you fired up the WSM. I use lump charcoal, and I use a propane torch to light a couple pieces closest to where I have the fan mounted. Once they are lit, I power up the Stoker and let the fan take care of bringing the smoker up to temp. I leave the top vent open 100% until I get within about 20 degrees of my target temp, then I close it down to 25%. This way takes a little longer on the initial startup, but prevents the initial overshoot, and I've found it gives me very stable temps.

I fire up essentially with the Minion method, it has worked well for me for a long time. I loaded the chamber with briqs and smoke wood, then started a handful separately in my chimney. I sprinkle them around the top when they're going good and stack up the smoker without the meat in it. I wait till it's starting to stabilize - but not all the way hot yet, then I add whatever I'm cooking. I did that with the stoker and it seems to approach target without overshoot. There seems to be enough mass to keep it under control. I've adopted a low stress approach - like when I do home brewing - don't worry too much, have another beer...

I ran another cook today, spareribs, and closing the upper vent down helped very much (thanks to everyone for suggestion). It was still a windy day, so I tipped a wheelbarrow as a windbreak. It was basically within 10 degrees through the whole cook. Awesome. I even took a 2 hour walk with my wife, when I came back it was still going smooth. (I haven't set up any texting/email notifications yet
icon_redface.gif
) This is what I have been dreaming about!!! Usually I do yard work and I check on it every half to one hour and fidget all day. The stoker has set me free!!! Plus it's cool.

Note, that I also ditched the water this time. I went to Home Depot this AM and found a 14" terra cotta saucer ( the one with 36 and made in Italy, as I've read ). No spills, easy clean up, etc. Woo Hoo.

I am sitting here typing this, with a belly full of ribs ( 3 helpings ), smashed potatoes, and a few beers. If I bring the leftovers to work for lunch for me tomorrow, I guarantee it'll turn a few heads. Yum yum.

I'm going to do a beef brisket next weekend, haven't had one in a LONG time.

I also need to setup a wireless link to the stoker, that way I won't have to leave a laptop outside on a table all day. Luckily I live in a pretty decent neighborhood, but who knows - it could rain, or those darn birds might ruin my day...

Thanks again!!!

I fired mine up for the first time last Saturday. Cooked some BB's and chicken breasts. It held steady at 230 for 5 hours. Only swings were when I opened the lid. Oh yeah... it's an offset stick burner. I like this forum and find lots of good people and info - so don't kick me off for not using a WSM.

Now that my smoker is on the internet, I guess it's good to have a REAL firewall to keep any virus from getting to the meat!
icon_biggrin.gif

No worries Rick. Forum owners/mods have allowed us to hang around here even though some of the members like myself, own competing brands of smokers
icon_smile.gif

Welcome to stoker club!

Just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in...

My experience leads me to believe your problem is more likely to be with how you have your vents set than the Stoker. I had a Big Green Egg and initially I had massive, +/- 20 degree swings. I then learned to close my top vent down to a sliver and the swings went down to +/- 3 deg at best but never really much better than that. I built a Stumps clone and my swings are now +/- 1 deg no matter how my vents are set. My temps are so steady on the clone it's amazing. I always had a nagging feeling that my Stoker was faulty, now 2 years later I know my swings were more related to the cooker than the Stoker.

Sorry I haven't checked back sooner. I was very happy with my second cook.

I'm doing another tomorrow as I have been really busy fixing stuff around the house and such.

I've been busy playing with getting a clean wireless solution that doesn't break my network security at home. I think I just solved it. I'll post the setup later.

I also had trouble finding that brisket I wanted to cook a few weeks ago. Each time I remembered I wanted some, and went to the store, they were out. But I finally got some. It's rubbed and ready to go tomorrow AM. The weather looks promising and no other plans ( i hope ).

pete

I'm sorry, but my wife thinks I'm nuts, so I had to post this here. She is making a salad to go with the brisket I just carved up for dinner. I've probably eaten about half a pound of it while slicing it, it is sooo good. Damn.

I had to get out of the kitchen for a bit, so I thought I'd share.

Who needs salad?

BTW, what is with the references to Martinelli's apple juice for basting? My father-in-law is an apple farmer, so my experience with fresh juice is really true cider. I know most other store bought stuff is from concentrate and probably imported, I'm just curious.

Thanks for all your support!

Back