Bacon Wrapped Tater Tots

Kaz S

TVWBB Pro
I made these last year for the potato throwdown, but they are so good they deserve a spot in the recipe section.*My friends still ask for these as appetizers. If your tired of ABT's or just want to*knock the ABT down a notch. Give these a shot. You'll be glad u did.

Bacon-Wrapped Tater Tots

Take some tater tots, add in a slice of pickled jalepeno, wrap it up in a half strip of bacon, tooth pick 'em, grill them indirect like you would your ABT's or MOINKS then top with shredded cheese and enjoy.*

utf-8BSU1HMDIwODMtMjAxMjAxMjAtMTc1My5qcGc.jpg
utf-8BSU1HMDIwODUtMjAxMjAxMjAtMTgxNS5qcGc.jpg
utf-8BSU1HMDIwODctMjAxMjAxMjAtMjAzOC5qcGc.jpg
utf-8BSU1HMDIwODktMjAxMjAxMjAtMjA0NS5qcGc.jpg
utf-8BSU1HMDIwOTYtMjAxMjAxMjAtMjA1MS5qcGc.jpg

THESE were OMF'n GOD good! Make 'em yourself. You won't have any leftover either!*

I've made them for guests and they said its the best thing they've eaten in at least 10 years.

TIPS
# Let the tot thaw some before you toothpick 'em.*
# I used a chunk of oak for smoke wood and it was great.*
# I used fiesta cheese but pretty much any shredded cheese would work good.*
# I cooked mine hotter prolly 400•ish to get crispy bacon about 25 minutes.*
# I've also deep fried these with great success.
# Enjoy with friends and beer and make 2 batches!

Post up what u, and everyone thinks about them! Pics too if u can.

Hope u guys enjoy them as much as me and my friends.

I've been making these for a while now (minus the cheese) and they are a HIT every time. People are amazed how simple they are, yet oh so good!

Those do look great! Question for those who have done them-what is the final texture of the tots themselves? Do they end up mushy inside the bacon? Or do they crisp up?

If they are mushy, would they benefit from say 15 minutes on the grill or in the oven prior to wrapping in bacon?

The key is to get the bacon crispy so that you render that bacon fat and let the tot fry in that self basting bacon fat. It gets decently crispy. And if the bacon is crispy then it's gonna be good. I also like to deep fry these, but since this is a grilling board I cooked and posted them cooked in that manner.

I like your idea of pre cooking the tot. I think a test batch or a head to head to see whether the extra step is necessary. I know for my friends the extra step is not needed for them to disappear.

Kaz, I just ran across your post and these sound (and look) GREAT! We want to make these, but this picture baffles me...

utf-8BSU1HMDIwODktMjAxMjAxMjAtMjA0NS5qcGc.jpg

Did you put these on the grill with the wax paper there?!? Seems to me the wax paper would burn up or make a melted mess...how did you do it?!? My wife saw your post and wants me to try it on the grill! Thanks Kaz!

How about trying the Vortex using the indirect-direct method? I'm thinking that if it can crisp up chicken wings, then maybe it would crisp bacon wrapped tots as well. At any rate, since I have a vortex, I just might try doing that and see how it turns out. linda

http://www.owensbbq.com/vortex.html

Did these last night, allow the tots to thaw a bit, otherwise you can spear a finger pretty easily. I ran out of picks so, I used skewers, I might try a batch with no picks at all. I got started and realized I was going to need more bacon, good thing I bought three packages! I used them ALL! For a whole bag, you'd need four packages of bacon. Don't let yourself think you won't finish them, just do it!
I will be doing these a lot!

Trying to decide if these will be an appetizer for thi Saturday too! I might try something different this week and do them for Easter, along with a twirly ham! I'd love a leg of lamb but, my wife's family are Easter ham people and my sisters are too far to be a determining factor in menu options. Maybe for my birthday? No, I said I wanted to rotisserie a standing rib roast for that feast! So many feasts, so little time!

Oh man I had bacon wrapped jalapeño tater tots at a bar with my buddies not long ago, we were amazed! I will have to try this!!!!!!

Back