Any reason why a rPi model A wouldn't work?

D Peart

TVWBB Pro
I'm thinking of getting a model A to replace my model B in the HM and then use my Model B for other things.

Model A is
700Mhz - which seems plenty fast,
a single USB port - fits my wireless dongle
no network port - fine as I don't use it

Anything I'm missing?

thanks
dave

I'm actually waiting on the A to make an appearance here in America because I'm going to buy a couple more of them. The original intent was to use a Model A anyway on account of $10 being like 7% of the overall cost of the project!

I was also looking into it using less power, that coupled with my damper/solenoid solution could potentially be a battery operated solution. The Model B at 700mA vs 300mA for Model A is pretty large.

dave

I'm actually waiting on the A to make an appearance here in America because I'm going to buy a couple more of them. The original intent was to use a Model A anyway on account of $10 being like 7% of the overall cost of the project!

You already touched on the ethernet port. That would be the biggest thing I would miss. I have found the ethernet port to be very valuable when trying to get the wifi setup. I suppose you could do the SD card setup on the model b and then pop it in the model a. ???

Last edited:
That is something I worry about. I should try to take my model b and see if I can configure it without a wired network connection. And no cheating, I can't just copy the network config files :)

dave

You already touched on the ethernet port. That would be the biggest thing I would miss. I have found the ethernet port to be very valuable when trying to get the wifi setup. I suppose you could do the SD card setup on the model b and then pop it in the model a. ???

Yeah I tried to do that once too and had a bit of a hard time. It is actually pretty easy but you've got to remember two things:
Code:
/etc/config/network
config interface 'wwan'
        option proto 'dhcp'

Code:
/etc/config/wireless
        option disabled '0'
config wifi-iface
        option network 'wwan'
        option ssid 'yournetwork'
        option mode 'sta'
        option key 'password'
I can never remember the network = wwan part.

Back