How much is Pork Belly normally?

I would like to try my hand with bacon. You guys have been showing more and more posts lately. I think i'm actually going to try buckboard bacon soon as it isn't that expensive.

I haven't been to the butcher yet and to tell you the truth i have never seen pork belly. How much is this stuff per pound? And what would be a good about of lbs to start with on your first try?

I pay $3.19 per pound and i've started with three pounds.
That will increase when i buy more.

Around here about $3.00 lb at the asian store for skinny bellies

$2.00 lb at restaurant depot.

Cheaper if you buy by the case (40 lbs) from a meat merchant.

First time I made bacon I paid $5.00 lb from a local butcher for frozen belly. Oof.

I still need to source belly - I have a pound of 'cure salt #1' (package marked Eldon's Sausage & Jerky Supply)....sez it "cures 400 lbs. of meat"

$4.59 yesterday (at my local meat market)
smiley-shocked003.gif

I paid $2.99 at an Asian market. I called around and a few local butchers also have it for $2.99. The Mexican meat market supposedly has it for $1.89 a pound but they were out and the other store didnt speak English so I couldn't find out if they had any.

I paid $4.99 today at the Asian grocery. Interestingly, that's the same price I paid the last time I bought it - at Whole Foods. I need to find a cheaper source.

I found it for 4.49 at my local butcher. It was frozen. I hope that doesn't matter. They said they freeze them since they don't sell a lot of them. It was 7.30 lbs. I had to order my Morton's Tender quick from their web site as i could not find it around here. With shipping it was 9 bucks.

Back