When do the kingsford charcoal deals start???

Jeff P.

I am out of charcoal and went to my local Lowe's to pick up some Kingsford... $19.99 for two 20lb. bags! I remember last summer I paid $5.97 for the same two pack of Kingsford. When and where is the best place to buy charcoal so I can stock up?

Jeff

First big sale should be around Memorial Day (May 27th) and Home Depot usually has the deals on Blue Kingsford.

If my memory serves me i also think there are sales around Good Friday, March 29th....

Last edited:
Sam's has the best price I've seen lately at $18 for 2-20 lb bags. I agree with Stefan that I recall Memorial Day last year was the first really good sale. I hope he is right about Good Friday. I've been buying some 15 lb bags of Stubbs at Lowes for $8.00 which is close in price to Kingsford(until the sales start up) and have liked it better.

Found this pic from March 31,2012...guess there were sales...
KBChar33112.jpg

Memorial Day is usually the best time to stock up. I hope I can hold out until then. Walmart 2 years ago was $7.50 for a 16.8# bag of blue. Last year it was $8.50 for the same size bag. This year it is $10.00!
I just wish we could have the coupons like we had in 2009. I was getting the 18# for $1.91 out the door.

isn't costco like $20 for two bags now ? with the prices going the way they are, i'm glad i don't q like the rest off you but istill buy bags on sale so i always have bags left till the next sales.

isn't costco like $20 for two bags now ? with the prices going the way they are, i'm glad i don't q like the rest off you but istill buy bags on sale so i always have bags left till the next sales.

No clue, George. I just scan the coupon flyer when I notice it on the counter. I haven't noticed any charcoal in it for a while.

I am out of charcoal and went to my local Lowe's to pick up some Kingsford... $19.99 for two 20lb. bags! I remember last summer I paid $5.97 for the same two pack of Kingsford. When and where is the best place to buy charcoal so I can stock up?

Jeff

$20 for 40lbs is 50cents a pound, which is not terribly bad for off season pricing. 25 cents a pound is the gold standard for Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day sales on plain ol' K.

The sales last year at Lowes and Home Depot were for smaller bags than those 20 pounders.... (they were 13.9lb bags for 6.97, I believe not 5.97) That works out to 25cents per lb.

Your best bet is to buy a year's worth every Memorial Day.

My recollection was that the Costco price for the K-Comp was about 60cents / pound. I gotta stock up on that this year. Better stuff, and less residual ash in smokers.

My rule of thumb for prices per pound: 25c for K; 55c for K-Comp; under $1 for lump. Good Lump is hard to find (cheap) in Chicago.

$20 for 40lbs is 50cents a pound, which is not terribly bad for off season pricing. 25 cents a pound is the gold standard for Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day sales on plain ol' K.

The sales last year at Lowes and Home Depot were for smaller bags than those 20 pounders.... (they were 13.9lb bags for 6.97, I believe not 5.97) That works out to 25cents per lb.

Your best bet is to buy a year's worth every Memorial Day.

My recollection was that the Costco price for the K-Comp was about 60cents / pound. I gotta stock up on that this year. Better stuff, and less residual ash in smokers.

My rule of thumb for prices per pound: 25c for K; 55c for K-Comp; under $1 for lump. Good Lump is hard to find (cheap) in Chicago.

Agree. Memorial Day Weekend is usually the best time to stock up on Kingsford. The July 4 sales are good too but I always skip that one. Labor Day Weekend is another good time to stock up and at least with Home Depot, the sales sometimes extend beyond Labor Day for another week or two depending on how much remaining stock they have..........

Since going almost exclusively to lump, I still have 4 of the twin 13.9 packers from Memorial Day last year, and 2-20 pounders from before that (probably more than a year ago when HD was doing the 2-20 pounders for $9.88).

Only Kingsford briquettes I've used lately is the Kingsford Competition, which is absolutely AMAZING for high temp cooking.

The Memorial Day Sale at the local Lowe's in Southern California has 2 -20 pound Original Charcoal for $9.99 5/23/13-5/27/13.

Same here in Phoenix. Bought 8 2-packs. They didn't give me any trouble even though the sign said that there was a max of two. Half off of what I usually get them for at Sam's.

Back