Webber 26.75 OTG Mods

Don for starters I bought an 18" grate for charcoal to be used beneath the factory charcoal grate. There is good usable space for certain cooks that I want to take advantage of. I also have the Weber heavy cooking grate for the 22" kettle which I can substitute for the charcoal grate in order to get a good sear. By lowering the charcoal grate there is almost three inches between it and the existing charcoal grate. So the steaks will be right over the coals or I can move them off to one side for indirect or above on to the SS grate.
I have also ordered a front handle, same as is used on the OTP. Rather than lift the lid from the centre I will lift it from the front like my OTP and slide it back. It should make operating the lid nice and easy. I will keep the existing lid handle in place.
Tomorrow I'm going to a muffler shop and having some pipe bent similar to the OTP frame and changing the support legs to a frame adding side tables much like the OTP. For the shelves I will use synthetic deck board material.
I see the potential for some smoking, low and slow or maybe medium and slow depending on how the grates are arranged. The existing charcoal grate could support various things like a water pan or a pizza stone or a clay saucer for indirect heat. It's also so big being 22inches that various configurations with fire brick and coals are possible. Once I put this kettle together I want to explore some of the possiblities. I see it as having plenty of versatily.

Yes I will have some pics in the future. I have the frame pieces bent now so have to figure out the assembly, do some welding and get it painted.

The new kettle frame, trying to get it set up. I wish I had taken some photos bending the pipe at the muffler shop. Oh well:eek:

IMG_0007_zpsd3ce27a8.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_0013_zps8f15c04e.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Gary S that frame has to be the coolest thing I've seen,Big Thumbs Up:cool:
What did you're final grill height come up to? Could be the pic angle but it looks quite a bit taller than you're OTP.

Tim

Gary S, I think someone's grill is gonna be the envy of the neighborhood...or town. Very cool, and keep us posted on how you like it. I don't weld but i have a good friend that does and probably would be more than willing to help me with such a project. Hmmmm

Thanks Tim for the compliment. It is taller at this point but it's still in the work-up stage. I have to put wheels on it yet and determine how I am going to mount the kettle to the frame. It's very likely I will be taking a couple of inches off the legs. As far as grill height it is the same differential as the 22, that is until you lower the charcoal grate. I bought a CI grate for when I want to get down into the grill. I will post some additional photos once I get it together. What you are seeing is unprimed steel so I have a ways to go yet but I am anxious to get it fired up.:eek:

Thanks Dave.
I weld or maybe I should say stick metal together:rolleyes:. This pipe is challenging for me because it's so thin but we'll get there.

I like the taller height. That's the one thing I would change on my OTG, get it closer to counter hght (36") than the 30" it is.

Tim

Tim as it stands now it's 39" but I still have mounting straps to make and once that's done I intend to stay around 36" cooking height.

David it's OTP inspired, not a copy, I wish I had that talent but it will have a similar look just beefier. Bending pipe like that requires very specialized equipment which I do not have access to. I intend on using a front dome handle that the OTP uses as well. It makes no sense to me for a grill this big not to have a front handle especially when Weber has done it before and of course it will have two side shelves just like the OTP.

Gary did you weld the kettle to the tubing, I imagine you had to grind off the porcelain coating to make the weld, l cant imagine that porcelain coating would gat any penetration.

Mike, no I did not weld the kettle to anything. That would not be a good idea. I will be attaching the kettle to the frame by suspending it using two metal straps. I will likely drill two holes, one on either side, possibly two on either side and bolting the kettle to the straps. The straps will be bent partially round to fit the contour of the kettle then I will weld the straps to the frame.

Mike, no I did not weld the kettle to anything. That would not be a good idea. I will be attaching the kettle to the frame by suspending it using two metal straps. I will likely drill two holes, one on either side, possibly two on either side and bolting the kettle to the straps. The straps will be bent partially round to fit the contour of the kettle then I will weld the straps to the frame.
Great idea, It would be a pain try and weld the kettle without grinding off the porcelain coating.

Arc temps can be as high as 3000 degrees so it would affect a lot more porcelain than just the area of the weld.

Back