A couple of questions if I may

Duffy Floyd

I recently bought a 22.5 WSM after finding that the smoke box feature on my Summit E-470 was a useless feature. Due to what I feel is a faulty design, the top gaps to the side of the grill allow all the smoke to leak out of the cooking chamber as opposed to imparting any smoke flavor to what I am cooking.

So far on my WSM I have done ribs twice, bacon once, brisket point once , beer can chickens once, and pastrami (venison and beef) twice. I would enjoy trying alder smoked salmon but am concerned about fish off-flavor on subsequent smokes. Is this actually a concern? I have read it both ways on that one.

I would also like to know if the smoker needs to come up to temperature prior to loading the meats to be smoked? I am using a modified Minion Method for lighting off the smoker with the #10 can in the middle of a ring of wood and charcoal. I light off the charcoal in a charcoal chimney starter and dump to the can then remove it. I have used KBB with most of my cooks and have recently changed to Lump to lessen the white smoke at the beginning of the cook.

I rarely cook fish, let alone smoke it so I will not comment on that part.

Most times I add the meat before getting up to temp. Don't think it makes a world of difference either way.

Duffy,

I've grilled and smoked Fish on a Weber Kettle and never had any issue with residual flavors. Being the WSM is a bit larger than a Kettle, I think you can Smoke away and not have any issues.

I bring the smoker up to temp (or close to it) and then set the meat on the smoker. Most here will tell you to do that I think.

Like Jerry, I have not had any problems with residual fish aromas as long as I clean the grill cooking surface well after cooking. I also bring the smoker up to (or almost up to ) temperature before adding meats.
Ray

Back