Attaching the blower to the WSM - My idea

Jason J

TVWBB Fan
While I was out buying parts for the WSM cart I am building, I was looking around for some sort of metal bowl/cup to attached to the wsm. Using this image as a reference idea, http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-128588856314212_2235_515369, I looked for camping coffee mugs, cat/dog bowls, metal measuring cups ect. Then it hit me. Why not use a tin can? I went home, found a larger can of yams, dumped it (well fed some to the dogs), cleaned it and placed it over one of the WSMs air holes. Sure enough it fit perfectly. I then went to home depot and found of the butterfly clips with a long enough screw. I attached it tonight after a smoke of some baby back ribs. It works GREAT. Nice solid fit. All for like $2.

20130119_222103.jpg

20130119_222112.jpg

Next I need to attach the blower. I think I ma just going to cut a slit the size of the hole in the blower, and then zip tie it to the top of the can. Anyone see a problem with this idea? Seems soo simple, yet I have not seen other do it.

I like the can idea alot, it makes me wonder what else might work that's and easy, inexpensive solution. I'm not sure about zip ties, as the heat may get to them but it won't cost much to try it and find out! Let us know how it works for you, and thanks for the great pics and idea!

I like the can idea alot, it makes me wonder what else might work that's and easy, inexpensive solution. I'm not sure about zip ties, as the heat may get to them but it won't cost much to try it and find out! Let us know how it works for you, and thanks for the great pics and idea!

Ahhh yes. Melting. Duh. I should have though about that. Maybe just use thermal tape?

I think I am going to paint the can black so it matches better and I do not look soo redneck :)

Wow! Perfect and so simple. I can tell you from my various designs that the heat just a couple inches away from the grill is really low. You shouldn't have any trouble with zip ties melting if you attach it to the (former) bottom of the can.

this is great! my heatermeter / pi is all done and I was just sitting here trying to think of how I am going to attach this without trying to bend metal.

Is this an 18 or 22 inch wsm? I just fished a normal sized can out of my trash in the garage but its too cold and dark to head out under my deck tonight :)

this is great! my heatermeter / pi is all done and I was just sitting here trying to think of how I am going to attach this without trying to bend metal.

Is this an 18 or 22 inch wsm? I just fished a normal sized can out of my trash in the garage but its too cold and dark to head out under my deck tonight :)

That is an 18.5 WSM. Now the can I used was from a large can of yams. I threw away the labels, so I dont have the size. I am *thinking* about putting some sort of gasket on the lip of the can so it is air tight. Not sure if this is over kill or not.

Last edited:
That or just the metal heat resistant tape to seal ductwork.

Gasket site!

http://bbqgaskets.com/contact_3.html

So here is my final version. Painted the can with black engine paint and added the nomex gasket to the bottom. Tomorrow I will be doing a few dry runs to test.

20130208_215102.jpg

20130208_214643.jpg

Thanks for the idea Jason. Yesterday I went to the store with a tape measure and scoured the canned goods. I ended up buying a can of pickled jalapenos that was just the right size, and a little more shallow than the soup cans I was looking at too. Unfortunately, when I went to test fit it it was a little too small. I used my Dremel to grind down the lip on the inside in two spots so the "wings" on the vent could fit through. That let it fit on, and it was tight enough that it held on without a drywall anchor like you did. I can also just grab the whole can and rotate it to change how open the vent is, which seems kind of cool. I was a little worried about there being a little air gap since I don't have a gasket, and I'm not clamping it super tight, but when I did a test run it was controlling the temp just fine. I did buy a bolt and wingnut I was going to use to attach it like you did though, and I'll end up using if it decides to fall off or something.

Here's a picture of it. The bracket I made out of an old license plate, although after feeling how cool the can was after being attached for a while I think your ziptie method would work just fine.

Heatermeter%2022.jpg

Here's a picture of it. The bracket I made out of an old license plate, although after feeling how cool the can was after being attached for a while I think your ziptie method would work just fine.

Heatermeter%2022.jpg

Awesome! Sounds like a good setup. Unfortunately the picture is broken because my work blocks DropBox. But I saw it on my phone and it looks great. I think my gasket idea is overkill and not needed. And the can stays super cool, so the zip ties work just fine.

Glad to see another Austinite working on this project :)

After a few months of using this design I thought I'd share a few findings of my own.

First, Aluminum foil makes for an excellent gasket material.

Second, If you're still drawing too much air. Save the lid of the can, it can be used as a damper. I folded it over a piece of threaded rod that rests against the blower in the back of the can. Now I'm completely airtight.

Sorry for rehashing an old thread, but I have been looking for this exact setup. I have an Auber PID and probe, been looking for the fan and mount idea. Where did you order your fan from? I also love the cabinet design. The temp is usually not a problem in SoTex, but this winter has sucked...

Never mind. Found a place on eBay that had the fans for $7.75 each and free shipping. Was thinking I might try to mount this with PVC pipe if I can find it big enough.

Awesome. Just copied your approach and everything seems to be nice and snug. I used wire to attach the blower to the can. I took a vice grips and simply twisted the ends together there was very little slack left in the wire and the blower was firmly attached. The holes that I threaded the wire through were a bit too large, so I used my soldering iron and a bunch of solder to close them up. I then simply used heat-resistant metal foil tape to seal things up.

I attached the blower to the WSM using the long toggle bolt. Maybe it's just me, but wow it seems nice and tight. Is the gasket to seal things or is the gasket for separating the hot smoker from the can/blower assembly, which could get too warm?

Back