My Genesis 1000 rebuild (its a redhead now!)

C. Quist

Hi all. I got this old genesis from a family friend a few years ago. I used it in poor shape for a long time and loved it still. I recently started lurking around these forums getting ideas. My Parents asked me what I wanted for christmas this year. I shopped around and around for a decent grill, and basically came to the conclusion that most grills sold today in big box stores are absolute crap. SO i decided to rebuild the old weber.

Before pics, after tearing down. The burner tubes, flavorizer bars, and porcelain grates were trash. Actually middle burner tube was split in half at the end, so flames would shoot out of that little breather hole in the cookbox, which eventually disintegrated the left side steel support bar. You can see I had a new one welded on by a friend of a friend.

And so it began. I cleaned up and painted the frame durawood shelf z-bracket supports with high heat rustoleum black. (The wood itself was all trash)
I bought some 1x2 poplar boards and pecan stain and polyurethane. I decided to trash the z-brackets for the bottom shelf because they were in such bad condition, but instead of buying new ones, I just used some more poplar boards for cross supports. Stainless steel screws to prevent corrosion later.

Heres some of the finished stained work table and flip up table

Last edited:
The control panel just needed a scrubbing in the sink

I painted the cookbox with some high heat silicone paint meant for manifolds and what not. The hood is brake caliper red. I think I may disassemble it and do more coats after it cures with the heat of the grill. I reassembled everything with stainless steel hardware.

Oh and for the finishing touch I painted the weber emblem with high heat black, then went to work on it with my dremel. New hood handle is the same poplar board and pecan stain + poly. (did like 4 coats)

Let me know what you think. I started doing this and got ideas simply from looking at other peoples threads, and so I shall do the weber world a favor by sharing my work as well :)

Last edited:
very very nice indeed ! my only question is about the polyurethane. doesn't that melt or whatever if you put something hot on the wood ?
i have a red one that i have had for several years but have not really gotten to it yet.

I think you did a fine job on that grill those are very good ones to keep alive, you should get a few more good years out of that. I would be proud to cook on that with you.
Kevin

very very nice indeed ! my only question is about the polyurethane. doesn't that melt or whatever if you put something hot on the wood ?
i have a red one that i have had for several years but have not really gotten to it yet.

thanks everyone! I'm not sure about this, but i never really put anything hot on my work tables. Only time will tell tho

Not to take anything away but why would you ruin a perfectly good porcelain hood? Remember the hood of a genesis is NOT paint it's basically fused glass. So if you just painted over the top it will peel, if you ground the finish off than you ruined what makes a weber better than big box stuff. It does look good though. And if you should want a REAL red head I have an honest to goodness red top here I could sell. It's in GREAT shape too. Just needs cleaning

Not to take anything away but why would you ruin a perfectly good porcelain hood? Remember the hood of a genesis is NOT paint it's basically fused glass. So if you just painted over the top it will peel, if you ground the finish off than you ruined what makes a weber better than big box stuff. It does look good though. And if you should want a REAL red head I have an honest to goodness red top here I could sell. It's in GREAT shape too. Just needs cleaning

yeah, i totally didnt know that, ha!
Oh well, we shall see how it holds up

In a couple heat cycles it will just flake and peel off. But like I said if you want a REAL red head I do have a red lid in nice shape. I also have a nice silver/gray lid from a Genesis Platinum It's kind of a shadow look with red pin stripe in the porcelain. I'd sell either one very reasonable. Let me know if they sound interesting I can send photos if you like

thanks everyone! I'm not sure about this, but i never really put anything hot on my work tables. Only time will tell tho

Not sure the Poly will hold up to the weather and heat but at least it is not a expensive change out only time,and some money. But no matter about that it looks good as long as it lasts and maybe for a long time for you. It is all in how you treat it,keep it covered out of the weather,etc.

Enjoy get it dirty.

Not sure the Poly will hold up to the weather and heat but at least it is not a expensive change out only time,and some money. But no matter about that it looks good as long as it lasts and maybe for a long time for you. It is all in how you treat it,keep it covered out of the weather,etc.

Enjoy get it dirty.

yeah thats what I figured, ill prolly change out the wood whenever it gets funky. Ill probably go with cedar next time.

by the way, anyone know if the weber 7553 cover fits fine on a genesis 1000?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012Y1D5E/?tag=TVWB-20

i know the 9857 is made for this tho
http://www.gasgrills.com/genesis1000.html

Our Genesis 1000 LX was purchased in 1995 and still going strong. Over the years we've replaced the flavorizer bars with ss and the cooking grates and it still performs like new. My wife just told me that the next thing that will probably have to be replaced is the ignitor, it still works but has to be pushed a couple times sometimes. It's been kept outside with no cover since we got it and it's none the worse for wear. It came with plastic instead of wood which no doubt helps with it's longevity. It's built like a tank and we like it alot and use it often, it's great for high heat grill type foods like burgers, brats, chicken, and steaks. And then the WSM takes over for low and slow.

Your Genesis rebuild looks great and should give you many years of great grilling pleasure.

Hey LMichaels i'm new to the board. You mention you have a redhead available. I was given a Weber Genesis Skyline Series gas grill by a friend last week and am preparing to restore it. Its really in great shape, i'm going to disassemble it and paint the frame and work on the sidetable. The main thing that it has going on is the black hood has a large area on top where either the paint is faded/discolored. I'm not sure if its due to age or how it was stored for years. I could use a red hood on it and then replace the durawood. Do you still have a red hood available and can you send photo if you do?

The grill grates will be replaced, the flavorizer bars are in pretty good shape and the burner is in good shape also.

I do but we just got a s^&tload of snow and it's buried out there under the deck. I also have a hood for a "platinum" kind of a smoked silver/gray with red pinstriping. Cool with either one both are in really nice shape. On both though the wood handle is shot and no thermometer. They both need cleaning too and the side supports need paint. But the porcelain is great on both.

Definitely interested in the red hood..my endcaps are in good shape and I have a good thermometer and handle..shoot me an email to dprince@cmpd.org when you can let me know how much you want for the hood..the black hood i've got on it now is badly discolored...i've got the endcaps off now painting them.

Back