Rib Glaze

I was reading a thread on Harry Soo's rib method and noticed K Krueger's comment about using a glaze versus saucing ribs. I searched the site for "rib glaze" and "glaze" and interestingly did not find any titled threads with the term "glaze" in them. I thought I would start one and share a glaze I've used a few times and do like very much (h/t):http://www.grilling.com/ultimate-rib-glaze/ and ask you all to post any glaze recipes you may have. Thanks.

Ingredients

2 1/2 cups Demerara sugar, or any raw sugar
1 1/2 cups Water
1/2 cup Red wine vinegar
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp Sweet paprika
1/4 tsp Chinese five spice
1/4 tsp Smoked paprika
1/4 tsp Ground cayenne
1/4 tsp Nutmeg

Method

Combine all of the ingredients in a medium sauce pan. Bring to a slight boil over medium heat, stirring frequently until all of the sugar is dissolved. Remove from the heat, set aside, and let cool. Brush or drizzle on the ribs during the last few minutes of cooking. Add additional coats as you like. You can refrigerate the remaining glaze for up to two weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep it simpler. 1 cup bbq sauce, 1/2 cup honey or agave, and whatever you want to use for heat (Texas Pepper Jelly, Texas Rib Candy, favorite hot sauce etc.).

Keep it simpler. 1 cup bbq sauce, 1/2 cup honey or agave, and whatever you want to use for heat (Texas Pepper Jelly, Texas Rib Candy, favorite hot sauce etc.).

This was K Kruger's reply about glazes vs. saucing ribs:
http://tvwbb.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=293599

Although it sounds great isn't what you suggest a juiced up sauce being used as a glaze? Maybe I'll try this and thin it out with some apple juice. Thanks for the suggestion.

Danny, thanks for posting John's glaze recipe. He has some good ones, so I'll have to try it. My go-to rib method is simple smoked Memphis-style dry (st. louis) ribs because frankly, I'm usually quite disappointed in my glaze or sauce efforts.

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I have a question for you folks about glazing ribs: These recipes seem pretty good at adding shine (which is what I'm going for), but each has a large amount of sugar, honey, or other sweet products. I tend to put a layer of honey/brown sugar/etc... on the foil when I wrap my ribs at about the 2 hour mark and then let them cook in foil for about an hour. Do the folks that glaze skip the layer of sweetness when foiling? I like a bit of sweet rib flavor, but am worried about overkill if the glaze really adds a lot of taste rather than just shine. Thanks for your thoughts.

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I have a question for you folks about glazing ribs: These recipes seem pretty good at adding shine (which is what I'm going for), but each has a large amount of sugar, honey, or other sweet products. I tend to put a layer of honey/brown sugar/etc... on the foil when I wrap my ribs at about the 2 hour mark and then let them cook in foil for about an hour. Do the folks that glaze skip the layer of sweetness when foiling? I like a bit of sweet rib flavor, but am worried about overkill if the glaze really adds a lot of taste rather than just shine. Thanks for your thoughts.

I still foil with brown sugar, honey etc. and glaze the last 15-30 minutes. The recipe I posted at the top of this thread I do cut the raw sugar down to 1.5 cups instead of 2.5.

I've sort of gone J's way last couple of rib cooks and really liked the results. I started with Weber's BBQ sauce, which is actually a pretty good KC-type sauce with no corn syrup...still sweet, but balanced. Then I thin it some with a Carolina red, and then add some honey, my favorite being sourwood blossom, and a little hot sauce.

1 can of Jumex Mango Nectar
1 heaping tbsp of brown sugar
1 squirt of honey (3-4 seconds)
1 tbsp of lemon juice
1.5 tbsp of sriracha

Whisk together and reduce until it forms a glaze. Be careful not to burn. I just used it on a slab of St. Louis ribs. It was fantastic!

Back