Santa Maria Tri-Tip

Dean Richardson

I'm a California boy and love our native Q (or grillin)..... Tri-Tip. I've cooked Tri-tip for over 30 years and always looking and trying new recipes. Recipes from friends, cookbooks, cooking and BBQ forums, etc. I've smoked them, grilled them, cubed them, cut them into steaks, cut them up for use in chili, sliced for sandwhiches....... heck, I have 4 in the freezer right now!! And now I think I finally found my "go to" Tri-tip recipe and found it, in all places, on the internet. Thank you About.com American Food!!! I've changed it slightly, but that was just to cut down on the vinegar a bit, added a bit more mustard (I like Dijon mustard) and parsley (for color). It is Awesome!!! Enjoy.

2.5 – 3 lb. Tri-Tip, fat cap trimmed

RUB
1 Tbsp fresh gr. Blk Pepper
2 tsp salt
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Dried Rosemary
½ Tbsp Paprika
¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper

BASTE/MOP SAUCE
1/3 Cup Veg. Oil
1/3 Cup (½ Red Wine, ½ Red Wine Vinegar)
½ Tbsp Dijon Mustard
4 Cloves Garlic, Crushed
1 Tbsp Parsley, Minced

Rub Tri-tip with seasoning, wrap with plastic film and refrigerate for 3 hours. Combine Baste/Mop Sauce ingredients and emulsify with a hand blender or in a blender. Stir in garlic and parsley. Can make a head of time so ingredients can marry. Remove meat from refrigerator and let sit at room temp for at least a ½ hour before putting on grill.

Get enough coals hot for two layer fire inside a Weber. Clean and oil grate. Place Tri-tip on grate and baste with Mop Sauce. Grill for 3 minutes and turn and baste Tri-tip with Mop Sauce again. Turn Tri-tip every 3 minutes and baste each time. Cook Tri-tip to desired doneness. Remove to platter, pour remaining Mop Sauce over Tri-tip, tent with aluminum foil and let rest for 15-20 minutes. Carve against the grain.

With 30 years of experience, this has to be good. This will be my next tri tip recipe. Thanks for the reminder, I'm due for these again. Will post back after trying, it looks like a keeper

My wife's family is from Santa Maria and when they moved to So Cal my father in law built a pit and kept a cord of red oak on the side of the house. We did tri tip ALL THE TIME. I love a good tri tip and this sounds good.

I'm doing tri tip tonight but already doing a carne asada style marinade. I'll definitely try it this way next time!

I was cruising this board for ideas, and I now I think I am doing Tri Tips tonight. Thanks for the recipe! Sounds great!

I'm glad you found it.
Thanks for bumbing this thread.

Take pics Dennis and post. :)

Dennis- looks like you used direct heat fro the entire cook flipping every three minutes. I'll have to try this one without any wood. Your's TT looks really good and moist! I need to work on my methods a bit more- I think I'll try this one next. The mop sauce sounds really good! Thanks for sharing

Just picked up a tri over the weekend and will cook it tonight or tomorrow. I'll give this a go, instead of the usual, S&P, garlic and parsley recipe. I've been looking for something a bit different to do with a Tri and this just might be the ticket. Thanks for bumping.

Thanks Marty- This recipe is top notch! One of the best tri tips I ever grilled, if not the best!.

Thanks Dennis and all that have tried it. I struggle with smoking chicken, ribs and brisket. Some days their right on, other days their off. But this Tri-Tip recipe has survived. I just did it recently for a poker party (10 guys) and it never made it to the plates. They just hovered over me and took it and ate it as fast as I could carve it. One thing that I would add is that if your fire is too hot, get the bark/caramelization you want, remove the Tri-Tip, push your coals over to one side and then finish it up with indirect heat to your desired doneness.

Enjoy!!!

Back