Why Weber recommends NOT using lump charcoal?

Dwain Pannell

TVWBB Hall of Fame
In another post, a member asked why Weber recommends NOT using lump charcoal? Lump is readily avail at the grocery store down the street (on the shelf right next to Kingsford blue) and after using nothing but lump for a while I like the results. Anyone familiar with Weber's recommendation not to use it?

In another post, a member asked why Weber recommends NOT using lump charcoal? Lump is readily avail at the grocery store down the street (on the shelf right next to Kingsford blue) and after using nothing but lump for a while I like the results. Anyone familiar with Weber's recommendation not to use it?

For the people not seeing other thread this is what Weber states for the WSM.

They even put it in the first paragraph on the " Getting Started " section.

B) Remove the lid and center section before lighting the charcoal briquettes. Weber
recommends the use of charcoal briquettes (1) with your Weber® Smokey Mountain
Cooker™ smoker. Lump charcoal or heat beads are not recommended.

Thanks for asking the smoker crew though Dwain as I`m really curious now about it.....

I recommend using the manual to light your lump charcoal.

LMAO!!! :D

I'm guessing maybe lump has an easier time falling through the stock charcoal ring & grate?
How that would make a difference and to not recommend, I have no idea.
I'm still laughing at Doug's comment...

For a newbie, temperature control would be easier with briquettes, due to their consistent nature.

I suspect Weber recommends using briquettes in the owner's manual for the sake of simplicity. It's a product that most people are already familiar with, easy to find in stores, inexpensive, and consistent in terms of performance.

I think it would have been better to say that they recommend that new users start with briquettes, but feel free to experiment with other types of fuel like lump charcoal as you gain experience with the WSM.

Just my 2 cents...

Regards,
Chris

This one comes up every once and awhile and Doug's comeback is a good one.
FWIW. I started with lump and no water in the pan, but that was after spending alot of time reading various threads on this board and gaining my experience from other members who shared theirs. :wsm:

Tim

This one comes up every once and awhile and Doug's comeback is a good one.
FWIW. I started with lump and no water in the pan, but that was after spending alot of time reading various threads on this board and gaining my experience from other members who shared theirs. :wsm:

Tim

I use both kinds of charcoal in my other Weber kettles and even mix it like I mentioned in the other thread and have had 0 issues. I went back and looked at the kettles book and they make no mention of this recommendation in the manual for them. I just thought it was unusual they put that paragraph in the WSM models..
I plan on using both kinds in my WSM too.....I may keep the manual for the part numbers and meat temp guide and start my lump with the Spanish and French sections though.....LOL

I'm betting it is because of legal liability.
If some goof burns down his house after a couple lump embers fall out of the chimney (also Weber made), guess who gets sued?

I'm guessing that it has something to do with using nuclear materials in the WSM. If an Atomic Buffalo Turd where to fall into the fire, imagine the mess the Nuclear Regulatory Commission would have to clean up! It could be worse than the Three Mile Island incident! ;)

Last edited:
I use lump always for long smokes. Seems to me especially when using my digiQ 2 that I can have up to 16 hour smokes without having to refuel and there's less ash.

After 3 cooks, 1st with the awful Cowboy lump, and 2 with the fantastic Ozark Oak lump, I am sold on using OO for all my cooks in the future.
It is highly recommended by nakedwhiz.com

Back