What to look for in Turkey Fryer?

Teddy J.

TVWBB Pro
After my recent Performer purchase, I'm selling the gasser to make room for my next toy - a turkey fryer.

Thanks to TVWBB, I'm not allowed to buy anything before getting everyone's insight, so here I am!

From my searches, it looks like they have BTU's ranging from 30k to 60k, but what's overkill? I assume that 30qt capacity for the pot is standard?

I'll be honest and say I don't see myself frying a turkey more than once a year, but do envision big chicken wing cooks, boiled peanuts, steaming crab, using the burner for frying fish, etc - and I don't want to run out of heat. Nothing more than I hate than getting to temp, dump in the food (cold or frozen), and seeing the temp take forever to recover.

Any advice fellas?

Mitch,

I am not sure about the BTU ranges but i will say make sure the legs are strong and very stable. With all the weight of the oil and bird you want to make sure the base can handle it all.

Mitch-- If the money difference is not that great, I would lean toward the higher BTU rating. Like horsepower--you might not always use it, but its there if you need it.

My turkey fryer has yet to see a turkey. The large pot does work well for boiling peanuts and should work well for the crabs. I found a 12 (about) quart fish frying pot with a basket at Lowes and it works great for frying fish, wings, scallops, etc. outside on the burner.

Careful putting frozen turkey in the fryer!!

This might be useful information for you:

http://www.ul.com/consumers/turkeys.html

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KevinJ:
Mitch,

I am not sure about the BTU ranges but i will say make sure the legs are strong and very stable. With all the weight of the oil and bird you want to make sure the base can handle it all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As Kevin mentioned, try and find one with strong legs preferably four and make sure the bird is completely dry before dropping it in the oil. I've read so many horror stories about the pot tipping over, oil spilling out and catching fire, etc. They key is to be extra careful, have a fire extinguisher, don't drink, and make sure its away from any structures. Google deep frying a turkey and you will find a wealth of information. Good luck.

If you fry a turkey, bring the oil up to temperature, then turn the burner off. Slowly lower the turkey into the oil - then, once it's safely in, relight the burner. This eliminates the source of ignition, just in case you do spill any oil.

Larry's way is the only way. The fire source needs to be off when putting the turkey in or taking it out. Sitting the fryer on a 4 by 8 sheet of 3/4 plywood is a good way to stop from staining the surroundings. A fire extinguisher in each corner.

The deep fryer is also great for steaming crab legs or doing a bunch of corn on the cob or a crab boil etc.A lot of uses other then deep frying.

I picked up this one a couple of years ago ($40 amazon)and use it all the time.

http://www.barbecuegrillsandmo...c-SQ-14-BAY1017.html

I already had some big stock pots and a large cast iron dutch oven that I could fry in so I wanted to invest in the burner. I haven't done a turkey yet but I do fries, wings, tempura, egg rolls in it all the time. I can say that I have mastered frying in it yet, but it seems more than capable of heating a gallon or so of oil to any temp, and keeping it hot.

Originally posted by j biesinger:
I picked up this one a couple of years ago ($40 amazon)and use it all the time.

http://www.barbecuegrillsandmo...c-SQ-14-BAY1017.html

That's the one I use....now

Originally had a cheaper one, hose sprung a leak the first time out of the box and turned it into a flamethrower!
icon_eek.gif

This one is very stable, and puts out some BTU's! I have a 60qt pot we use it with for seafood boils and it heats up pretty quickly.

We use it at comps for heating water for dishwashing

You shouldn't be dissapointed with this one.

It's also available at Amazon.

I don't know how to make a link to give TVWB credit.

To get TVWB/Amazon credit, I put items in the "Saved Items -- To Buy Later", click the Amazon link on the TVWB site and add the saved items to the cart.

I went ahead and decided with the Bayou Classic SP-10, as they didn't have the SP-14 (the one posted above in the link) locally.

Burner works like a champ, the Bayou Classic website says the SP-10 has 185k BTU's, so heat is not a problem, but BOY is this thing loud.

It has a built in wind screen around the burner which may be causing alot of noise, but it seriously sounds like a small jet in my backyard.

How loud is the SP-14 that you guys have? If it's quiet, I'd trade some burner power to have a more quiet operation. Or is this normal for a high performance propane burner?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mitch Josey:
I went ahead and decided with the Bayou Classic SP-10, as they didn't have the SP-14 (the one posted above in the link) locally.

Burner works like a champ, the Bayou Classic website says the SP-10 has 185k BTU's, so heat is not a problem, but BOY is this thing loud.

It has a built in wind screen around the burner which may be causing alot of noise, but it seriously sounds like a small jet in my backyard.

How loud is the SP-14 that you guys have? If it's quiet, I'd trade some burner power to have a more quiet operation. Or is this normal for a high performance propane burner? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a couple of different ones, but they do sound like there ready for take-off @ full bore.

Tim

Back