Reverse sear Buffalo Ribeyes with CI taters and onions

Dwain Pannell

TVWBB Hall of Fame
So, while I am watching the SEC Championship to see who will play Notre Dame, I tried my hand at reverse sear free range Buffalo Ribeyes with CI taters and onions. Buffalo is rich in protein and high in iron yet is lower in fat, calories and cholesterol than skinless chicken or turkey.

I marinaded the steaks in Dale's while I fired up some lump (sensa anthricite coal, lime, and other goodies they add to Kingsford these days). If you know Dale's you know it doesn't take long (it can overpower some meats). Once the lump was at volcano hot temps, I put the taters and onions directly over the heat and placed the steaks indirect. Once the taters and onions were done and when the steaks got to about 120*, I swapped them - steaks on the fire on the el cheapo CI grate and CI on the indirect side. I pulled the steaks at 145* (via Thermapen) and let them rest a cpl minutes. I must say the meal was quite tasty even though I would have like the grill marks to be more pronounced. DUH - I forgot the add a pat of herb and garlic butter to the steaks while resting - DUH. :eek:

IMG_1179.jpg

IMG_1182.jpg

IMG_1186.jpg

IMG_1188.jpg

Lack of grill marks/crust is an issue with the reverse sear. Try swapping them to direct at a lower temerature and try pating the beef dry with a paper towel before putting on direct. It helps some.

grill marks or not, those look great! buffalo is tasty too. wish it wasnt so expensive here!

one other thing you can do before your steaks go to direct heat is lightly brush your grill grate with some oil-----i use this trick on my steel grate and it helps the grill marks a little bit. i am hoping the wifey gets me a CI grate for my Xmas.

Dwain, looks GREAT!
I'd not worry about the grill marks...
I've have buffalo and beefalo many times...
removing it from the heat at 125ºF (in my opinion) is best with a 10 minute rest.
the meat is soo lean, longer cooking at high heat can kill the steaks, dry them out.

Yours looks AWESOME

http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/steakhouse_steaks.html

Great article on the reverse sear and other steak techniques. Enjoy!

Thanks for the link

Dwain, looks GREAT!
I'd not worry about the grill marks...
I've have buffalo and beefalo many times...
removing it from the heat at 125ºF (in my opinion) is best with a 10 minute rest.
the meat is soo lean, longer cooking at high heat can kill the steaks, dry them out.

Yours looks AWESOME

Good tip, I'll try it next time Jim.

Back