Smoked Stuffed Mushrooms on the Weber

John Sp

TVWBB All-Star
Hello All,
I did this dish at a family dinner earlier this week as an appetizer before my Pontchartrain Chicken. It was well received. My wife has asked me to make it again tonight. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did...

Ingredients:

1 lb Ground Italian Sausage

2 lb Frozen Chopped Spinach (well drained)
24 Mushrooms (button or baby Portobello)

½ Medium Onion (chopped)

4 Cloves Garlic (chopped)

1/3 lb Creamed Goat Cheese (I used Laura Chenel)
¾ cup White Wine
2 tbs Crushed Pork Rinds (you can use Panko bread crumbs instead if you want)
3 tbs Olive Oil (EVOO)
3 tbs Parmesan Cheese (use the powdered kind in the can)

2 shots Bourbon Whiskey
-- Salt and Pepper (to taste)
-- Apple Wood Chips

Instructions:
Prepare the Stuffing: (note this can be done ahead and the stuffing saved in the fridge if desired)
Brown the Italian Sausage in a large skillet. Wash the mushrooms and carefully remove the stems. Set the mushrooms aside and chop the stems. Add the stems, onion and garlic to the sausage and sauté over medium heat until the onions are translucent. Remove excess fat (if any) from the mixture. Reduce the heat to medium low and add the drained spinach. Stir several minutes until the spinach is completely incorporated. Add the goat cheese and stir until it melts into the mixture. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Reserve the mixture (allowing it to cool slightly).
Prepare the Mushrooms:
Brush the mushroom caps with EVOO (top and bottom) and sprinkle them with kosher salt. Place them in a grill safe pan (I used an aluminum foil pan) stem side up. Add enough stuffing to make a heaping pile in each mushroom cap. Sprinkle the pork rinds (or Panko) and Parmesan cheese over the stuffing. Carefully add the white wine to the bottom of the pan.
Grill:
Prepare the grill for indirect cooking and light a full chimney of charcoal. Add the apple wood chips to a small bowl and pour one shot of the whiskey over them. Add water to cover and set aside (at least ½ hour). Pour the other shot of whiskey into the cook. Add the pan of mushrooms to the grill (indirect). Drain the wood chips and add to the hot coals. Cover and cook 20 to 30 minutes using medium high heat (on my weber I used ¾ open bottom vent and wide open top vent) until the mushrooms are tender and the toppings are slightly crunchy. Rotate once during the cooking time. The actual cooking time will depend upon the size of your mushrooms and the initial temperature of your stuffing.

Notes:

You could spice this up with some peppers or hot sauce in the stuffing mixture. You could do them in the oven (but why would you?). Any leftover stuffing makes a killer omelet or meat stuffing for breakfast tacos the next day…

Regards,

John

Last edited:
Looks great!
I would double the bourbon but separate it, two for the recipe, two for the chef!
Just re-read the recipe, I apologize for doubting someone who will make "Pontchartrain Chicken" !
I will go stand in the corner and just think about the bourbon!

Last edited:

Back