Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cast iron skillet recommendations

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Jim Lampe's Avatar
    this guy has a cottage industry of fixing these up and selling them online
    ...and a nice collection he has. w0w!
    Living a dream in
    ......................The Home of THE P1GVILION

TVWBB Fan
    A few days ago I made the 40 min drive (lucky me) to South Pittsburg, TN to the lodge store. They have an excellent selection of scratch and dent CI that is perfectly good and cheap! I bough a 10 and 12in skillet, and a 4 qt pot. Unfortunately, 2 weeks ago I bought a 6 qt lodge dutch oven from a local cooking store for like $130, they sell the same one (discontinued brown color) in S Pitt for $69, oh well.

Unless you need an actual dutch oven, I would begin by checking thrift shops and garage sales. Buy whatever you find and try cleaning and seasoning. Then use it to cook. This way you can learn how CI cooks and what you need. I got a 2 qt Lodge for Christmas last year that works great but is way too small. Didn't know that till I used it. It does work well for small batches though.

Do not sweat it if you get something that isn't right, just learn to use it and if it is not right just give it away. Quick tip - making popcorn is an easy way to season a pan.

At this point I have about $6 invested in 2 pans, a #8 Wagner that was a beater and a little 8" that looks nice. I use them a few times a week and they work great. They do require your attention and you have to be careful with cleaning but it is a cool labor of love.

TVWBB Pro
    I have a Griswold I got from my grandmothers when she passed .I had to clean it up some but its a pretty nice skillet. Use it all the time to sear and cook steaks and the like. I also have picked up a few other brands at sales and the like that are older but usually in well used shape needing cleaning. Found two nice 9" Wagners at the flea market for 15.00 . Cleaned them and then oiled and baked them for awhile and then cooked a bunch of bacon on them for a few weeks and they are the best non-stick pans I own...BUT make sure if anyone ever comes over and helps with the dishes they don't wash them clean. My mother -in-law scrubbed my brother-in-laws pan and then threw it in the dishwasher while he was gone..He was sick......

I have noticed that although the new Lodge pans are nice they are not as heavy as the old ones are. Being so heavy is the one thing my wife hates about them so she sticks with the Analons...

I did see a Griswold at an antique store yrs back in Ohio and it was priced at over 600.00. The rare ones can get some hefty dollars nowadays....
    Last edited by Mike Leiter; 12-11-2012 at 06:05 PM.
    WSM 22 , OTG 22, Master Touch 22 and looking to add OTP. Now also own/ed a E-330 NG version that got STOLEN but now have a S-330 to replace it

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hoffman View Post
    I prefer vintage cast iron. I can usually pick it up cheaper than a new Lodge pan and if it isnt damaged they have a nicer finish.

My Wagner #3 after I cleaned and seasoned it. (1930's)
    I wonder if it'd be a bad idea to take some scotch brite and smooth out the metal...... I've been leaning towards my plastic spatulas instead of metal, thinking that it'd disturb the finish less.

I noticed that no one spoke about enamel covered cast iron cooking utensils. The Le Creuset brand is high dollar but very good stuff, but I cannot afford it.

Within the last year, our local supermarket (HEB - Texas Chain) has begun to carry several enamel CI pots. I bought a 4 qt dutch oven for about $35 and a 10" saute pan for $20 and a 2 qt. pot for $20. Their line is called Cocina Ware. I don't know if it is an HEB brand or if it's sold under that name elsewhere. I've used it very often and have not been disappointed.

We use CI because we have one of those electric powered solid surface ranges. It doesn't heat most pots and pans very well. The 2 exceptions I've found are the Wolfgang Puck stuff sold at Sam's and this inexpensive enameled CI.

I'd like to hear from others who use enameled CI.

I cleaned my Griswolds in our fireplace insert.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Hutchins View Post
    I noticed that no one spoke about enamel covered cast iron cooking utensils. The Le Creuset brand is high dollar but very good stuff, but I cannot afford it.

Within the last year, our local supermarket (HEB - Texas Chain) has begun to carry several enamel CI pots. I bought a 4 qt dutch oven for about $35 and a 10" saute pan for $20 and a 2 qt. pot for $20. Their line is called Cocina Ware. I don't know if it is an HEB brand or if it's sold under that name elsewhere. I've used it very often and have not been disappointed.

We use CI because we have one of those electric powered solid surface ranges. It doesn't heat most pots and pans very well. The 2 exceptions I've found are the Wolfgang Puck stuff sold at Sam's and this inexpensive enameled CI.

I'd like to hear from others who use enameled CI.
    Enameled cast iron cookware is great for recipes that have a lot of liquid such as tomato sauces, stews, etc. Normally these dishes can strip away the seasoning in a plain cast iron pot. I also find that enameled pots need to be cleaned regularly with a powdered bar cleaner so they don't build up debris and stain.
    18 WSM, 22 OTG blue, 22 OTG Limited Edition Red , Jumbo Joe, Smokey Joe, Q100, GAG, 22 kettle rotisserie, Lodge Hibachi, Griswold and Lodge CI sets

The nice thing about Lodge CI is, you can get it at Walmart:

10" < $16
    12" < $20

7 Qt CI Dutch Oven < $50

Someday I hope to get the Sportsman's Grill < $112

Got a nice little collection started by chance now. I just got a new 12" Lodge skillet last month for my B-day. Used it to cook our Thanksgiving dressing in on the Genni and it came out great! My Wife and I, and her Sister and Brother are going in together to replace their Moms 25 yr. old range for Christmas. So today we went over to my MIL's and moved out the old one for delivery Monday. When I was helping her clean out the bottom storage drawer she had a couple of old CI pans that she hadn't used for years and were covered with dust, lol. I told her not to get rid of them before talking to me and she said "take 'em". When I got them home and looked at them, one is a Griswold #8 10 1/2" and the other one is a Wagner #6 9". I asked her when and how she got them and she said she got them from her Mother, and remembered her using them when she was a kid. So I scored a couple of vintage ones that I will clean up and reseason! Anyone know how I might find out the manufacture circa?
    Give a man a steak, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to BBQ, and he'll sit by the grill and drink beer all weekend!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast