Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cast iron skillet recommendations

TVWBB Member

Cast iron skillet recommendations

Using on my performer, what size, brand, price range, etc.? What size do I need to cook what? Sorry if dumb questions, but I have never cooked on cast iron and dont know much about it. Just been checking out some recipes that look insanely awesome! wheres the best place to buy??? Do you ever use these on the wsm?

Lodge is the only USA company making CI cookwear, and USA-made is the only CI I will buy.
    Around here, it's my wife and I and I use an eight-inch Lodge skillet on my Performer. I also have a two-quart Lodge dutch oven that gets a pretty good workout. There are times, however, that I wish it were bigger.
    Going through this site to Amazon is a good as way as any to buy CI, and if you have Amazon prime, shipping can be free.
    Since cast iron can last forever, there are lots of old pieces available on Ebay and the Goodwill store and possibly your local thrift stores, but shipping gets expensive. Wagner and Griswold are two popular brands of early cast iron. But they can get pricey since collectors are buying those pieces, too.

TVWBB Super Fan
    Pretty much what Richard said. Lodge is the only real option in current production (there have been problems with the Chinese-made ones containing hazardous materials). It's cheap so I'd get a few pieces and see what you like. I use the 10" skillet a TON indoors. Good size for a lot of things including cornbread. Just be aware that it gets better the more you use it, and the pre-seasoning it comes with is more like a base coat - you may get some sticking the first few times. You might want to cook some bacon on there just in case. Several times, ideally.

You kind of need to know what you're doing to get Wagner and Griswold since the brands got bought and in particular there are later Wagner skillets that are just miserable. You want stuff that was made before the 1950s, so you need to memorize the marks on the bottom. It's a whole involved thing. They were a little better made back then but the Lodge stuff is perfectly decent so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

TVWBB Hall of Fame Dwain Pannell's Avatar
    I have 10" and 12" round skillets, a square 10" grill pan and press (great from panini), a 10" round griddle, a bean pot and a 12" Camp Dutch Oven. I use them in the WSM and on the Kettle.

Best place to buy: if you don't live near South Pittsburg TN, have a Gander Mountain, Cabela's, or Cracker Barrel nearby, then online from Lodge or other source I guess.
    ~ May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead. ~ Big Deck BBQ and Brew

TVWBB Member
    Thanks guys, I am glad you mentioned the fact that newer Gris and Wags can be miserable Doug. I have seen many on Craigslist that sounded like good deals, but will avoid. I will probably go through this site and buy a couple Lodge's from Amazon. Happy Holidays, Ryan

I prefer vintage cast iron. I can usually pick it up cheaper than a new Lodge pan and if it isnt damaged they have a nicer finish.

This is my Griswold #7 from the 1920's before I cleaned it and reseasoned it.

My Wagner #3 after I cleaned and seasoned it. (1930's)
    Pork! It's The Meat of Kings! EZ/AD Performer, EE Kettle, H OneTouch, 1972 Kettle, C Smokey Joe, DA Genesis A .

TVWBB Pro
    Tim, how do you clean your cast iron? I would love for my Griswold to look that good!
    Thanks, Tim

Tim, I use electrolysis to clean my CI. Instructions Here. I then season it.
    Pork! It's The Meat of Kings! EZ/AD Performer, EE Kettle, H OneTouch, 1972 Kettle, C Smokey Joe, DA Genesis A .

TVWBB Super Fan
    Cool skillets. If you can find vintage cast iron in your area for a reasonable price, definitely pick it up and give it a new home. Doesn't seem to be much of it in California - so much of the population came after the war and apparently they didn't bring their cast iron with them. We're reduced to haunting eBay or etsy...

TVWBB Super Fan
    Just to give you some idea of what they go for online - http://www.etsy.com/shop/tarapup?ref=seller_info# - this guy has a cottage industry of fixing these up and selling them online. With shipping you're talking $70 for a mid-sized skillet. Which is not unreasonable versus what a modern quality nonstick skillet costs but a lodge 10" skillet on Amazon is $16, no joke, and there are various ways to get free shipping.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast