The Snake Method - BBQ Rib Cook

I have used The Snake method of lighting my charcoal several times now with great results. I have used this method specifically for rib cooks, as I have consistently been getting 6.5 to 7 hours of cooking time at 235 to 250 degrees. The advantages to this method have been:
1) Easier to keep cooking temps at 250 or below, especially with a totally empty water pan.
2) Very efficient use of charcoal (using Kingsford blue bag).

I sometimes find I get temperature spikes using the minion method, especially if I put in too much lit charcoal at the beginning. Using the Snake Method seemed easier to control when starting with 15 to 20 lit briquettes.

Here's how I loaded the charcoal ring prior to placing 15 or so lit briquettes on the end closest to where I placed the wood chunk:
8199501769_0cf7aaf1e5_z.jpg

Here's how the charcoal looked after 3 hours as I was getting ready to foil the ribs:
8199502123_a4b4573023_z.jpg

After 1.5 hours in the foil and 40 minutes unwrapped to finish them off, here are the results of this cook which lasted just under 6 hours. I still had another 80 minutes of temps above 235.

8200587476_729d132bbf_z.jpg

8199496417_0b780c6cc6_z.jpg

I'll definitely use this method again for cooking ribs, or anything else that I want to do low and slow that cooks for 6 hours or less. I'll still use the minion method for longer cooks.

By the way... the ribs were great!

I've seen that illustrated before, but I haven't tried it yet. Sure makes sense, and no one can argue with YOUR results! Fantastic looking ribs!

Back